Chapter 6

"W-what?"

"Is it true what your friend thinks, Carina?"

I was stunned, I had no idea how to respond, I wanted to tell her the truth, to be honest with the blonde, but at the same time I was scared to do so because I did not know what her reaction would be or if it would be too soon for her. I didn't want to lose her before I even had her... but I had to risk it.

"I ... I ... Hmm ... I think you are a very attractive woman Maya, anyone with eyes on their face could tell." She was just looking at me. I cleared my throat in preparation for what I was going to say to her. "You are actually beautiful and I love spending time with you... If you would give me a chance to..."

"No," She said dryly.

"No what?" I asked confused.

"Stop talking."

"Why?"

"Because it's crazy. You and I ... It won't work," She said with a tight voice and blank expression.

"How do you know?" I frowned, feeling a twinge in my heart. "A few minutes ago we were going to kiss and you know it. Those things don't happen by chance Maya, there is an attraction between us"

"No," She repeated. "That was a mistake and I apologize to you if I made you think anything else. Could you do me a favor?"

I couldn't articulate a word so I just nodded.

"Don't talk about me with your friends, I don't want misunderstandings," she said harshly.

"I'm sorry..." I stopped abruptly, my throat burning with that feeling you get when you feel like crying and try to hold back.

"Don't apologize, I just want you to make it clear that we're just friends, nothing more."

I felt an emptiness in my stomach at his words. She was rejecting me and I hadn't even told her half of the things I felt about her.

"Maya please, let's talk," I whispered, getting a little closer to her but the blonde took two firm steps back.

"There is nothing to talk about Carina, we are friends and that will not change. I can't do this again. I am not good at relationships. I'd better go see April," She murmured, walking toward the door.

The blonde got out of the room and left me there speechless, rejected and heartbroken.

I didn't know how to process what happened, everything had happened very quickly, in one minute we were face to face about to kiss and the next she is telling me that it is a mistake and she leaves as if nothing happened.

I wanted to chase her and ask her for an explanation but I knew it would be in vain, I was still in my working hours and I didn't want to make a scene so I stared at nothing for what seemed like hours, letting myself be carried away by the emptiness Maya's words had caused me, wondering if I'd done something wrong or if she wasn't interested.

But she was going to kiss you, wasn't she? A voice inside my head said. So? Why did she reject me? Am I not enough for her?

A hand waving in front of my face abruptly pulled me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I said, blinking several times.

"I asked you if you were okay Carina. I saw Maya walking out, she didn't look happy"

"You!" I yelled pointing to the person in front of me. "All of this is your fault!"

"What the fuck?" Teddy said, backing away quickly with her arms in front of her trying to create distance between us. "I did not do anything!"