Chapter 21 🖼️

Have you ever wondered why the smell of vanilla is so attractive? Have you found an answer? Well, I do, that sweet but not cloying, refreshing, soft and powerful smell has, at least for me, very important memories of my childhood. It always brought me back to the beautiful moments I spent with my grandmother baking cookies for so many summer afternoons.

However lately when I smell vanilla my mind doesn't associate it with cookies or laughter shared with my grandmother; instead, it makes me think of something else —of someone else— and the things that come to my mind are not innocent at all.

And that is what is happening at this very moment. I can clearly smell the delicious scent of vanilla, it's strong and it's very close to me... Too close.

I opened my eyes slowly and the first thing I noticed is that I could hardly see anything because everything was dark, the smell of vanilla prevailed and that calmed me for a few seconds until I felt someone gently stroking my hair, also that 'someone' was the source of the delicious smell; the second thing I was aware of was that I was clinging to that body as if my life depended on it.

Memories came to me... Lunch, hospital, flowers, Gabriella. Carina.

Carina!

Without panicking, because I felt comfortable in her arms, I tried to focus my eyes but still couldn't see anything, I changed my position a little and that's when I realized my face was between her neck and shoulder; that's why the fragrance was so strong, she was close, so close that now I could distinguish the fruity scent of her shampoo and the fresh smell of soap on her skin.

In a fit of bravery I moved closer to her pulse point and pressed my lips into a small kiss, feeling the blood rush under her smooth skin. God, it felt so good to be with Carina in that way that when I heard her laugh slightly I continued with the kisses, nothing sexual, just short kisses that made her laugh more and more and it was one of the most beautiful sounds I had ever heard in my life.

When I decided it had been enough I withdrew my face from her neck and sat up on one arm so I could see her precious and delicate face. She smiled shyly at me and I restrained myself with all my might not to kiss her.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked and she nodded without taking her eyes off me for a second. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, bambina." My heart did a somersault like every time she called me that. "I feel so much better and it's all because of you."

"It's just a social visit..." I started to say but she shook her head.

"You know it means so much more to me than a social visit," She said sincerely and my heart raced again.

I didn't respond, there was no need to, I just leaned in and gave her a soft kiss on the lips that only lasted a few seconds but enough to make my head spin. When I pulled away I saw the bright smile on the brunette's face and I couldn't help but do the same.

A few minutes passed between giggles and glances until Carina got up from the bed and went to the bathroom to change her clothes, after a few minutes she came back and offered me her hand. I pouted because I really wanted to stay in bed with her but then I remembered Andrea was probably already waiting for me so I took her hand and let her guide me down the stairs to the living room.

"What do you think you're doing?" Carina asked me when she saw me grabbing my bag from the couch, her expression was serious.

"Uh, I'm leaving? I said nervously and she giggled before taking the keys off the small table beside the door.

"You mean we're leaving," The brunette commented as she headed for the door.

"Sorry?" I asked confused walking towards her.