Chapter 23

"I'm going to need help here!"

I heard Amelia's voice yell at me from my backyard. I put the bags I had in my hands on the sofa and went to where my friend was.

I covered my face with my hands when the sunlight hit me directly. Amelia was busy setting up a trampoline on the grass but her little hands weren't able to do everything without help so I approached her trying to hide the smile on my lips.

"What were you doing?" Amelia asked clearly dazed as she wiped the sweat from her forehead.

"I went to my car to get the things I bought yesterday," I said lifting some of the pieces so she could fit them into place.

"Did you ask Maya what time will they be here?"

At the mention of the blonde I smiled. It was my first weekend off from the hospital in some time and I had invited Maya and her daughter to spend the day with me, as soon as she agreed I went to the store to buy food and other things I was going to need while they were in my house. On my way back I had called Amelia to ask her to help me set up the trampoline I had bought especially for April to play as the little blonde loved them.

"They'll be here in a bit," I replied watching Amelia put the jump mat in position.

"Do you have something planned? Are you going to cook?" She asked retreating a bit to check that everything was in order and then lifting the net from the floor and giving it to me. "Your turn."

"Yes, I'm going to cook lasagna for dinner," I agreed as I busied myself carefully setting up the safety net because I didn't want any accidents. "And then we'll have a movie night."

Amelia scowled at me.

"And the trampoline?"

I laughed and shook my head, Amelia loved having all the information about everything.

"April can use the trampoline whenever she wants or run around in the backyard or she can do things inside the house…" I shrugged, finishing with the net and admiring the work we had done. "While Maya and I talk and drink wine."

"That doesn't sound like a date," My friend complained as we headed back inside the house.

"It's not, I just wanted to spend some time with them. My shifts at the hospital have been crazy and I haven't seen them properly this week."

"Yeah, I've had a lot of patients and surgeries." Amelia sighed as she sat down on the couch. "What is this?" She said leaning down to look at the contents of the bags I had left there. "Don't you think you went overboard with the paints?"

"You never have enough paints," I said, shaking my head, taking a seat across from her. "Also April loves to paint, I want her to have a lot of fun this weekend."

"Mommy Carina, I'm here for it." Amelia joked.

"You're never going to change Amelia Shepherd."

"Can you blame me?" She said with a shrug, a mischievous smile on her face. "By the way, is there any chance of that threesome becoming true?" She added raising her eyebrows suggestively.

"No." I said flatly. "Not even in your dreams."

"Oh trust me that's already happening," Amelia muttered under her breath but I could still hear her. I laughed.

"I still don't understand how you're still single if you're so bold with what you say." I said pulling my phone out of the back pocket of my denim shorts when I felt it vibrate and getting up off the couch immediately. "My girls will be here any minute. Arrivederci, Amelia."