Chapter 15

"Carina we can't do this here." I heard Maya whisper behind me, her voice sounding insecure and agitated.

"Of course, bambina, no one is going to see us," I whispered back and put aside the basket I was carrying, turning to help her climb to the top of the hill where I had planned to bring her.

"Isn't this illegal?" She asked breathlessly.

"Maybe..." I replied with a shrug and the blonde shot me an alarmed look. "But nothing's going to happen," I hastened to calm her down.

Maya looked at me seriously for a few seconds, I pouted and she couldn't resist, letting out that adorable laugh that characterized her.

"You're going to make me go to jail, DeLuca."

"Hey, at least we'll go together right?"

The sound of her laughter increased and I immediately felt butterflies fluttering inside of me. I'd give anything to hear her laugh like this forever.

"Are you okay?"

I blinked several times when I saw Maya looking at me confused.

"Huh?"

"I asked if you're okay. You disconnected for a few seconds" She said laughing again but this time with some shyness.

"You are very beautiful," I said, thinking aloud, making the woman in front of me blush. "Come here, let me show you something." I offered her my hand and she took it immediately.

I walked to the other end of the hill, heading toward the edge while trying not to think about how perfect Maya's hand felt on mine, her warmth and softness complementing my own.

As I reached the edge I turned around just to see the expression on Maya's face and she didn't disappoint. Her eyes were sparkling with excitement and her mouth was slightly open in surprise.

"Carina..." She squeezed my hand that was still holding hers, mesmerized with the sight in front of her. "Carina this is beautiful."

And it really was.

The moonlight gave her skin a pearly sheen that seemed to come from paradise itself, her face had the most adorable expression in the world between admiration and surprise, the glow in her eyes intensified and the cold breeze moved delicately her hair making it flutter on her shoulders.

The view was definitely beautiful for me although it was likely she was referring to the lights of the city of Los Angeles that with their colors had managed to illuminate in the purest way the face of the woman I was madly in love with.

"It is," I whispered without taking my gaze from her profile. "It's more than beautiful."

Maya looked at me and blushed intensely when she realized I wasn't exactly talking about the city at our feet.

"Carina, stop. You're making me blush." Said the blonde covering her face with both hands.

Without hesitation, I took her hands and gently withdrew them from her face so she could look at me when I spoke to her.

"Then you are going to blush forever bambina because I am going to tell you how beautiful you are until my last breath." She gave me a shy smile. "God, you're gorgeous."b

"Carina... I... I told you I'm not the type of person you want to spend the rest of your life with." She said, making me frown.

"Why not?"

"I'm very complicated."

"I like challenges," I replied immediately.

"You don't understand Carina." She ran her hands through her hair, frustrated. "I have never been important to anyone, maybe I will never be and I don't want to..."