Chapter 24 ❄️

"Carina, what is this?"

When I heard those words come out of my daughter's mouth I felt all the blood drain from my body, in total panic and with a clear scenario in my mind I quickly turned around, almost hurting my neck, while praying to a superior being so that It wasn't about what I was thinking.

There, with her big blue eyes and her innocent little face, was April looking at Carina, across the room while holding in her hands a wooden box, much smaller than the previous ones but which I recognized without hesitation. The relief I felt was immediate and almost overwhelming. I heard Carina sigh next to me and knew that the brunette had also been thinking the same thing as me. She walked up to April smiling.

"That, principessa, is a special gift," she said, sitting on the edge of the bed, watching my daughter carefully.

"For my mom?"April asked, looking away from the wooden box and looking at the doctor.

Carina nodded.

"Yes, it's for your mom." She said and I couldn't see her face but I knew she was smiling which made me feel warm inside.

"She has plenty of these already." April declared making the brunette laugh heartily.

"Oh yeah?"

"Hmhm, she keeps them in her closet." She handed the box to Carina who put it back in the drawer of her nightstand. "And she likes them a lot, they're her favorites and she won't let me touch them."

"Yes?" Carina asked amused turning to me and raising an eyebrow to which I responded with a shrug, pretty sure I was blushing.

"We should watch the movie," I said before either of them could say anything. Approaching them and urging April to get on the bed which she eagerly complied with.

Carina looked at me for a few seconds with that beautiful smile on her lips that made me want to kiss her passionately right there and at that very moment, then she turned back to the nightstand and took out her laptop charger from the drawer.

"Here it is!" She said showing me the object with a mischievous smile.

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help but smile nervously.

"I was sure it was your…" I trailed off, avoiding looking into her eyes.

"Pink friend?" she replied cheekily and I nodded awkwardly. Apparently the constant color of my cheeks while Carina was around was red.

"Carina do you have a pink friend!?" April squealed at that, getting up from where she had made herself comfortable between the sheets and jumping on it again. "Is it an unicorn!?"

"Oh God," I whispered.

"No, sweety." Carina said taking her eyes off of me and looking at my daughter. "I'm afraid it's not a unicorn, no."

"A pony?" April ventured thoughtfully, stopping her jumps, slightly disappointed.

Carina glanced at me briefly before walking over to April and picking her up, her immediately playing with the brunette's hair as she gazed at her adoringly.

"It's not a pony either, I think you have cooler friends than me!" She said rocking back and forth, making April laugh. "You have to introduce me to them someday! Yes?"

April nodded, settling for the doctor's response and resting her head on her shoulder. My eyes met those of the brunette again and I mouthed a "thank you" which she responded to with a wink.

"So, what do you say if we cuddle and watch the movie?" Carina asked looking down at April but my daughter was fast asleep in her arms, the weariness of the day finally catching up with her. She chuckled. "I guess it has to wait until tomorrow."