Chapter 9

After Carina left I kept thinking, without knowing how the hell I had accepted her proposal (she said it was friendship but I was sure she wanted more) it was impossible for me to concentrate when I was in her presence, I felt that I had no control over my actions or thoughts. I didn't want to have anything romantic at all with her, I was sure of that. We would just be friends. Yes just that. Or maybe I could just ignore her and she would lose interest in me, she would realize that I am a fairly ordinary single mother.

I looked at her gifts still on my desk. A flower and a conch were the most random gifts I had ever received and yet they still seemed the cutest to me.

I sighed deeply.

Carina Deluca is going to be extremely difficult to ignore. How could I ignore her when every time we saw each other she treated me in the most special way possible, as if I was the most important person in her life.

I shook my head several times to stop thinking about her and to focus on my model again, I needed to have it ready for the meeting with Jack or else I would lose the project that I have fought for my entire professional career.

----

"Mommy!"

I saw April running towards me as I entered my friend's house and closed the front door, her little legs working at full capacity to get to my side as quickly as possible. I leaned in just in time to take her in my arms and spin her several times in the air.

"How is my princess doing? How is your arm?" I said, putting her back on the floor and checking her cast.

"Fine but itches." She replied with a grimace.

"It's normal darling, they're going to take it off soon," I said, remembering my conversation with Carina. "Did you have a good time with aunt Andy?"

"Yes mommy, we were watching Moana," she said cheerfully.

"For the eightieth time," I heard a voice come from the couch and turned to see Andrea, sitting up and rolling her eyes. "You have to show her another movie Maya, she's driving me crazy."

"Honey, go pick up your things, okay?" April nodded and ran off to collect her toys. "Don't be dramatic Andy."

"I'm not, I love that girl but I swear that if she makes me see Moana again, I'm going to disown her."

"You wouldn't do that," I said, looking at her reproachfully. "You spoil her too much."

"I'm her tía, it's my duty to do it," She replied, ignoring my gaze. "How was work?" Is Jack still the same old idiot?"

Andrea worked with me at the construction company but was still on leave after giving birth to her baby.

"He's gotten worse," I said, rolling my eyes.

"I miss my job but if I don't have to see Jack Gibson's face for another month I'm happy. Is he still trying to sleep with you?"

"What do you think?" I replied rolling my eyes and she made a disgusted face. I turned to see April who was still putting her things in her little backpack. "Where's Dylan?"

"Sleeping, a few minutes ago he took his bottle."

"Awww look at you, a responsible mom," I said, mocking her.

"Shut up." She tossed a cushion in my direction and I easily dodged it.  "Speaking of responsibility, tomorrow Dylan has the appointment with his sexy pediatrician, you come with me right?"

"Nah, I think I'll pass." I looked at April who came running towards me again. "Ready?"

"Yes mommy"