Chapter 20

Cherry Pie.

It was her, it was unmistakable and if the red Jeep was there it could only mean one thing: its owner, better known as Carina's ex, was there too.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't know whether to knock on the door and pay a normal visit or just get out of there as quickly as possible. After a few minutes of evaluating the pros and cons I decided it would be better to do the first, after all I came to see Carina because I was worried about her, even if her ex was at her house and that fact was causing me a slight annoyance.

Because it was definitely just a slight annoyance, it wasn't jealousy at all.

I got out of my car, grabbed the things I'd bought for Carina and strode toward the front door. The Italian woman's house had a beautiful facade that was very in line with her personality. When I got to the door I stopped and took a deep breath before ringing the bell.

The device beeped a couple of times and I could immediately hear Carina's muffled voice saying to wait a moment. My pulse quickened and my palms began to sweat, I didn't know what to do or why I was so nervous.

Then I thought about how she hadn't responded to my messages or calls for three days. Had she been with her ex all that time? I couldn't bear that. I had decided to leave when I heard soft footsteps behind the door before it opened.

Carina's face lit up completely when she saw me, a huge smile dancing on her lips and it made me forget all the doubts I had had before ringing the bell. Only that was needed for me to put my fears aside: a smile from her.

"Hi Carina," I said in an audible whisper.

"Hey bambina."

I had three days without hearing her soft voice and without her calling me that. I felt such beautiful things inside me every time Carina called me "Bambina", I didn't know if it was the accent in her voice when she pronounced it or the way she said it with such tenderness but she really always managed to take my breath away.

Once I recovered from the initial surprise of having seen her and the happiness to have her close again, I began to notice the state in which she was. Her hair, always loose and with waves falling down her back, was tied in a messy bun at the top of her head; her face was makeup free and yet she looked beautiful, the only things worrying me were how puffy her eyes were, the dark shadows under them and how thin she looked from the last time we saw each other a few days ago. Carina was wearing a simple light blue t-shirt and black athletic shorts adding to her "I don't want to leave the house" look.

"Maya?" The brunette's voice took me out of my thoughts.

"Yes?" I replied and she giggled adorable.

"I asked if you want to come in." Her smile never left her face as she spoke.

"Yes, of course," I said, a little sorry for having been staring at her and not paying attention to what she was saying.

Carina stepped aside and let me into her house. In the hall there was a small table, on it I could see the Italian woman's keys and her bag. There was also a coat rack from which a pretty brown coat was hanging.

Suddenly I felt a warm touch on my lower back and I smelled Carina's scent behind me. Without letting go, she led me down a short hallway to the spacious living room with two couches, a coffee table, a TV and a beautiful lamp hanging from the ceiling. However, the only thing I could focus on at that moment was the woman sitting on the couch drinking a cup of coffee and looking at me intently.

"Come bambina, I'm going to introduce you to someone," Carina said almost directly into my ear making my heart race.

When we approached her, the brunette stood up and I could see that she was tall and very pretty, she was wearing a tight white dress that highlighted her green eyes, while her hair was tied in an elegant high ponytail.