Chapter 16

"You are so cheesy, you know?

Carina gave a little laugh when she heard me. We walked down the hill hand in hand after countless kisses at the top. We hadn't put a name on the relationship yet, it was still too early after all, but we agreed (specifically me) that we would give ourselves a chance and see what would happen later.

"Maybe... But I bet you like it, Bishop," She said, squeezing my hand.

Love it.

"Hmmm, I'm not sure," I said vaguely making her frown in my direction. "I like it, silly."

"I knew it!" She yelled, jumping around me.

"Shhhhhhh." I put a hand over her mouth to silence her. "You're going to get us arrested."

The tall brunette looked in all directions in alarm.

"You're right... Come on, princess, get on the carriage so I can take you to your castle." She stopped in front of the passenger door and opened it in a gallant gesture.

"You're ridiculous," I said, shaking my head from side to side and laughing.

"Solo per me ragazza," She replied in italian.

That was sexy.

"I'm sorry but I have no idea what you just said," I said, laughing and Carina pouted as she walked to her side of the car.

"Just for my girl," She explained, got in the car, put on her seatbelt, and I followed suit. "I'm going to teach you some Italian."

"I'm not sure if it's a good idea, I'm terrible at learning llanguage..." I looked at her profile as she started the engine and we started to move away from the hill. "Andy has been trying to teach me Spanish for years."

The brunette shrugged slightly.

"I can be quite convincing," She said. "Maybe we can go to Italy one day."

"Seriously?"

"Yes. Most of my family is there."

"Did you come to the United States alone?" I asked curious.

"No. I moved here with my mom and my little brother when I was 10 years old," She said smiling. "It was always good to go on vacation to Italy and relax though."

"You have a brother?" I asked, surprised.

"Yes, he is also a doctor and works at the same hospital as me. In fact, he's in a relationship with my friend Teddy. Do you remember Teddy?"

"Dr. Altman?" She nodded. "Yes, I remember her very well."

Carina smiled and I was sure she remembered our time alone in the x-ray room.

"Teddy is a good woman, she's only spent a lot of time with Amelia," Carina said laughing. "When we met her she was very shy and quiet... I bet it's hard for you to see that now."

I was engrossed listening to Carina because this woman was magnificent and extremely interesting. Every second I spent by her side, hearing about her family and friends I learned more about her. I wanted to know everything about her life, what she liked and what she didn't, what made her laugh, cry, angry, surprised... Everything.

In that car I realized maybe life wanted to give me another chance when it put Carina DeLuca in my path. The certainty was given to me by the simple fact that I loved seeing her eyes light up when she spoke about her culture.

"And how do you say thank you?" I asked enthusiastically after a while of Carina explaining to me where Sicily, the place in Italy where she was born, was and teaching me a few words in Italian.