Chapter 22

"Carina, stop sexting with Maya and pay attention to me."

I looked up from my phone still smiling to see Amelia's amused face. My friend and I were sitting in a cafe near the hospital, the last few days had been a bit busy and we hadn't had the opportunity to see each other as often as before so we decided to meet in the cafe before starting our shifts.

"Amelia, we're not sexting," I said laughing.

"Ah but you're talking to her, I knew it!" Amelia replied rolling her eyes playfully. "You have that silly, smiling face every time you look at your phone."

"I'm in love, Amelia," I said with a shrug.

"No shit!" She scoffed and I hit her arm.

"She just sent me a picture of April and Ford," I commented, showing her the adorable image of the younger blonde and the puppy.

"That little girl is a sweetheart," Amelia said, looking at the picture.

"She is." I said absently. "She is a very witty girl."

Amelia was watching me carefully from her place in front of me.

"What?" I asked.

"I just think you're good at being a stepmother." She said seriously taking a sip of her coffee.

"I'm not her stepmother, but I'm not going to deny that I've grown very fond of April."

"I knew from day one." My friend said and I frowned. "When I saw that little girl fell asleep in your arms and the way you held her, I knew you weren't going to be able to stay away from her and her mother."

I smiled remembering that day when I approached the lost little blonde with a mouth full of chocolate and then her mother came in to drastically change my life and make me feel love again.

"I know you guys will be a beautiful family," Amelia continued. "Well, you already have a dog together so for me you are already a family."

"Trust me, I believe that too but I know Maya expects us to make things official and that's my plan," I said taking a sip of my coffee.

"When are you planning to do it?" She asked. "You haven't finished telling me all the details of that plan but it's very romantic."

"I can only say that it will be soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing Maya's smile."

Amelia smiled widely.

"I love seeing you like this! I never saw that sparkle in your eyes when you were dating Gabriella."

"This is different, Amelia. What Maya makes me feel is inexplicable, with a simple smile from hers I feel like I'm floating and my whole body tingles of happiness."

"God, please! I need a Carina in my life!" Amelia said clasping her hands and looking up at the sky which made me laugh.

"You never know when someone might show up," I said, winking at her.

"No, definitely the man up there has favourites and I'm not one of them." She complained.

"Maybe we should go out to a bar for you to meet the love of your life."

Amelia nodded enthusiastically and finished her coffee while staring at her phone intently, her brow furrowing.

"What's wrong?"

"We should go to the hospital before your brother has a heart attack." She said showing me the messages. "He's panicking."

I nodded and quickly finished my coffee. We both gathered our things and started walking to the hospital which was only two blocks away from the cafe.