Chapter 8

"Ready for lunch?"

I looked up from the papers on my desk and smiled as I saw Amelia's excited face peeking out of my office door.

"I'm sorry Amelia but I won't go with you," I said as I took off my white coat and hung it on the coat rack.

"What? Why not?" She asked, entering the office and giving me a suspicious look.

"Uhhh..." I started, wondering whether to tell her or not.

"It has to do with Maya, right?" she said, smiling mischievously.

"No! I just want to have lunch alone today."

"Oh Carina Deluca, I've known you for a long time so find yourself another excuse or..." She leaned closer to me and whispered. "You can tell me, I won't tell anyone."

Amelia was my best friend and she had certainly known me for years so there was no point hiding what I was going to do from her, especially if Teddy already knew. The whole hospital would probably know by now.

I sighed deeply.

"Okay yes, I'm going to go see Maya."

"Oh, my God! Finally Carina!" Amelia exclaimed, jumping up and down with joy. "Where are you two going?"

"We don't have a date," I murmured, her face turning into a confused expression. "Actually she doesn't even know I'm going to see her."

"So this is you still fantasizing about having something with her?" She looked at me worriedly.

"It's not just that, some things happened Amelia."

"Carina, I'm a little lost."

"I know, let me update you." I briefly told her what had happened between Maya and me in the X-ray room, her rejection, and Teddy's advice.

"I swear Teddy Altman is the most indiscreet person I know. She and Andrew are made for each other."

"Yes, they are," I laughed. "Anyway, I decided to listen to Teddy and try to win her over, Amelia. Do you think it is the right thing to do?"

"I know I said it was a bad idea but..." She looked at me with a soft smile. "Teddy is right, you are happier since you went to that dinner with her and you two were able to have a decent conversation. I think we cannot deny you the possibility of trying."

"Is that a yes?" I said smiling.

"Of course! If you really like that woman so much, I don't see why you can't try. Plus she seems to be interested, I just think she's scared or something."

"Yeah but scared of what, Amelia? I would never hurt her."

She shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know Carina, you have to find out for yourself. Sometimes people fight battles that we cannot see on the surface."

I thought about that for a second. Was something like that happening to Maya?

"You're right, thanks Amelia," I said taking my bag from the desk. "I'm leaving now, I want to surprise her. Wish me luck!"

"You don't need it!" I heard her scream as I headed towards the parking lot.

----

I stopped my car in front of a huge building in downtown Los Angeles, its elegant and imposing structure made it one of the most beautiful buildings I had seen. Clearly Maya worked in an important construction company in the city, and without really knowing why, I felt very proud of her.