three | magic beans

♡

THE ONE WHERE ZARA WANTS MAGIC BEANS.
EPISODE FOUR.

Zara was exhausted come to the end of the day, where her arms were full with work to mark and monthly reports to fill out for parents. By the time she arrived at Central Perk, the rest of her newly discovered friends were already chatting away.

"Hey, hey, sorry I'm late," said Zara, running into the boys. "Oh, are you guys leaving already?"

Joey held up three tickets. "Game night!"

"Zara, let me help you," Ross offered.

"Oh, thanks," Zara smiled, relieved that someone took the folders from her arms as Ross dumped them on the coffee table for her. "I'm exhausted."

"Tough day?" Monica asked.

"What's tough about Kindergarten?" Chandler questioned.

Zara shot him a disappointed look, watching as his smile vanished. "Have you ever managed a class of six-year-olds before, Chandler?"

"I can't say that I have," he replied.

"We can help, though," Joey offered, far too eagerly.

"Can you?" Zara shot him a look. "Counting to ten seems too hard for you, Joey."

Joey frowned. "I can show you—"

"Hockey," both Ross and Chandler decided.

"We'll help you," Phoebe reassured Zara.

"Thanks," Zara said, grateful for them. "I appreciate it but it's all confidential."

The three men went to leave, but then Rachel appeared, waving a piece of paper as she announced her first payslip. A chorus of cheers echoed from the friends as they all waited eagerly for Rachel to open the envelope.

"Look," Rachel showed them. "There's my name. Hi, me."

"I remember the day I got my first paycheck," Phoebe told them. "There was a cave-in in the mines. Eight people were killed."

"Wow," said Monica, surprised. "You worked in a mine?"

"No, I worked at a dairy queen," Phoebe answered. "Why?"

Zara pressed her lips together to hide her laughter as she recalled her first job being at a roller skate rink. Back then she had a bit of an attitude and was fired after a few weeks for snapping back at a customer — hence why she liked working with children; they might be little terrors, but she had a way with them that surprised even herself sometimes.

"Oh! Isn't this exciting?" Rachel exclaimed, still clutching at the payslip.

"Just wait until you see the pay!" Zara told her.