thirty-five | zara's choice

THE ONE WITH ZARA'S CHOICE

Honestly, if she wasn't in so much shock, Zara could have laughed at the sight of Derek lingering in their doorway. Even with Zara outside, she could see Monica fold her arms across her chest, clearly not impressed that Derek was there.

"Do you want me to get rid of him?" Chandler offered.

"No," Zara told him. "I'm curious why he's here."

It was a curiosity as in Zara felt like her life had become a comedy show, finding it too amusing to ignore. Like, of course, her ex would turn up right now at the most vital point in her life. Zara had her suspicions, but she wanted to hear what lame excuse he came up with.

So, Zara headed back into the apartment, acting unbothered as Derek's eyes fell on her. Those dark irises glistened, lips quirking up into a smirk.

"There she is," Derek said.

"Zara, Derek was just leaving," Monica said.

"Actually," said Derek. "I was hoping to speak to you. Ideally, without your boyfriend or Monica around. You know, just us."

"Chandler's not my boyfriend anymore," Zara told him.

Derek's smile widened. "Perfect."

Chandler frowned. "I don't think we got the chance to meet properly last time. David, was it?"

"No, we didn't," said Derek. "There's no point now, is there?"

"Derek, don't be rude," Zara snapped at him.

"Can we talk?" Derek asked again.

Even though Zara was wondering what could possibly bring Derek here after all this time to talk, she wasn't quite ready to give in to her curiosity. It was troubling — Zara was no fool — but she wasn't one that could ignore it.

But, of course, she could feel Chandler's eyes burning into her.

"You have five minutes," Zara told him. "And it better be worth my time, Derek."

"Oh, I think it will be," Derek said.

Stepping into the flat, Monica sighed before closing the front door again. The irises were placed on the table for Zara to deal with later, though she was torn about keeping them. Then, Zara ignored the warning look Monica gave her as she led Derek out to the balcony, knowing it was the only private place to speak. Zara would leave the apartment to talk to him, but she didn't quite trust herself without Monica around.

"Should I be concerned about this?" Chandler asked Monica.

"That depends," said Monica. "On what Derek has to say and what you two spoke about out there. I just hope Zara's not about to make a foolish mistake."