thirty-seven | the mistake

THE ONE WITH THE MISTAKE

EPISODE THREE.

Even though Zara still had a class full of kids, she had temporarily taken a break to focus on wrapping up her book tour. Though, with the pressure of the second book brewing, Zara wasn't sure how she was supposed to balance her two lives.

Now, Zara dropped a box of books off at Rachel's office for her colleagues and boss.

"Hey, Rach," Zara said.

"Oh, Zara," said Rachel, acting as if she had just been caught doing something as she lingered near a door with a key in her hand. "Hey."

"Where'd you want the books?" Zara asked.

"Uh, in Joanna's office," Rachel said, sharing a look with her colleague. "I was just about to check something..."

Zara raised her eyebrows, knowing Rachel was up to something, but she didn't question it. Already, Rachel's colleague had scurried off as if they had been caught. Rachel cleared her throat, using the key to open the office.

The two walked in to find Chandler handcuffed to the desk with his pants missing. While Rachel gasped from shock, Zara couldn't help but laugh. Chandler, though, looked horrified to have been caught — especially by them.

"Hi," Chandler said, panicking. "How are you?"

"I have so many questions, but I really don't want to know," Zara decided. "You're in the wrong place, though, you know that, right? You said you were gonna help me today."

"I'm a little trapped right now," Chandler told her.

"Fine," Zara replied, feeling smug as she couldn't resist the next words. "I guess I'll just have to ask Derek to help instead."

"No!" Chandler cried out, where the handcuffs rattled with his movements. "I'll be there."

"I'll see you there then," said Zara, grinning, before she turned to Rachel, who was still in shock. "Rach, don't let him out."

"What?" Chandler questioned.

But Zara was already closing the door, unable to resist the urge to torment Chandler a bit over it. Though, traumatising Chandler was enough to cover up the achiness that came with seeing him in a compromising position like that.

Maybe Chandler was moving on and Zara didn't like that.

Fortunately, Toby had found time to help Zara set up in the school gymnasium, which gave the two an excuse to do something together. While they were getting on well, Zara was still yet to find something in common with her brother — that and she wasn't too sure how she was supposed to act around him.

"So, who is coming this afternoon?" Toby asked.

"Everyone from the school I work at," Zara explained. "Obviously, since we're here. I've also reached out to charities to invite foster kids. It's become a bit of a big thing, so my agent is handling it all now. She'll be here soon."