thirty-nine | joey & zara

THE ONE WITH JOEY AND ZARA

Zara can't stop smiling as she headed back upstairs to her apartment. As she opened the door, Monica sat up so quickly, knocking the tissues onto the floor from the bad cold she had.

"Oh, you're smiling," Monica noticed, practically melting. "Really smiling."

"You know?" Zara questioned, sitting down in the armchair as she didn't plan on catching her friends cold on top of her sprained wrist. "Of course you do."

Monica grinned at that. "I told him where you were."

Zara rolled her eyes, not knowing that Joey had come looking for her in the hope of something finally sparking between them. But, that smile was still on her face, where she was more smitten with the thought of them than she had thought she would be.

"You're still smiling," Monica pointed out, becoming more excited than Zara was. "See, I told you: choosing to be happy is always the best choice. Now, tell me everything. Did you love the flowers? Was it romantic? Did you kiss?"

"Flowers?" Zara questioned, stuck on that. "We kissed, but I didn't get any flowers."

"Oh," said Monica. "Still, you guys are back together, right?"

Zara's eyebrows knitted together, staring at Monica with a questioning look. "Mon, who do you think I kissed?"

Monica's eyes were wide, suddenly realising. "Oh, I don't want to answer that."

"Well, it's easy to figure out," said Zara.

"You kissed Joey!" Monica realised herself, gasping in shock. "Oh my God."

"You thought it was Chandler!" Zara responded, just as surprised. "You told him where I was? Chandler had flowers?"

"No, don't listen to what I said," said Monica. "Tell me what happened with Joey!"

"Only if you tell me what happened with Chandler," Zara replied, starting to feel her heart pound again. "Please, Monica."

"Well..." Monica sighed, knowing she had meddled now. "Chandler came here looking for you as he wanted to talk to you."

Zara's heart stilled. "About what?"

There was a tiny smile on Monica's face. "About the two of you getting back together," said Monica. "Chandler still loves you and he wants a second chance. He was adamant about getting you back. That this is now your time."

Zara was speechless; they had always tiptoed around the idea of them still being in love and the question of what if, but Chandler had never outright made a move so boldly. It had always been hushed conversations between them that were either interrupted or never got passed that initial fear that had once destroyed them.