Chapter 20

As both women entered May's house, (Y/n) kept thinking over her friend's question. She almost missed May's hand as she tried to comfort her. When May noticed she was in a trance like state, she decided to leave her be. (Y/n) barely heard her say goodnight, as May left to go to sleep. 

(Y/n) pinched the bridge of her nose, letting out a deep sigh. When she opened her eyes again, her vision tried to re-focus. If her vision blurred for a moment longer, maybe she could pretend to be back at her house. Maybe she could pretend that nothing had ever happened, that Trent was still alive.

Instead, she was inside her friend's house while her apartment was being cleaned out. Her reputation in shambles, no longer working on the case anymore. She had no money, no car, no hope.

She wrapped her arms around herself. While she appreciated May's gesture, she knew it was dangerous for her to continue to stay here any longer. She loved May, but would she risk Toby coming back? 

(Y/n) sat down on the couch and grabbed her backpack. She pulled out a couple of file folders and tossed them carelessly onto the coffee table. (Y/n) then also pulled out her laptop, turning it on.

When she got to Google, she turned her attention back to the folders. She opened the first one, inside having a sketch done of a tall, slender man. His most noticable feature was the lack there of.

No face. Just a tall male like figure in a suit.

At the bottom read in an dark, scribbled handwriting. As if the artist was in a frustrated rage.

The Operator

(Y/n) scrunched her nose. It was a strange title.

She turned back to her laptop and googled the name. Which quickly led to a YouTube playlist. Her (E/c) eyes scanned the title as she clicked.

Marble Hornets.

(Y/n) paused the first video before she started. She turned back over to the rest of the file and pushed it aside. (Y/n) reached over and grabbed the file underneath. She flipped it opened, only to immediately drop the file.

The Manila folder landed ontop of The Operator's file. The picture that was inside the new file slid out. (Y/n) hesitantly reached over to grab it, not believing what she saw.

In the pale bluelight of her screen, she saw a younger Toby.  His face was reconaziable, with his fluffed hair and dark eyes. Even back then, he had an unsettling gaze. (Y/n) frowned. If they would've met back then, in high school, she probably wouldn't have noticed him.

The file had everything she needed to know about him. Everything. Maybe with this she can better prepared herself if-

She winced. The mere thought of it was enough to cause her to stop.

-If he ever came back.

She wasn't prepared. And she knew that. If he came back, he would have an upper hand. (Y/n) was in no state to defend herself or anything.

(Y/n) sighed, sitting back on the cushion. She should continue to investigate the cold cases, but the headache she had was unnerving. Each throb was like a hit with a hammer in her skull.

It was because she stopped taking her medication. She knew good and well that she had to take them. It was to help her go ease the anxiety. Her therapist had given them to her when (Y/n) mentioned that she couldn't sleep at night.

She looked back down at the manila folder and closed it, not wanting to read his file. (Y/n) stood up and made her way over to the guest bedroom. She mindlessly placed the picture into her pocket.

As she closed the door, (Y/n) carefully made her way over to the bed. Normally she would be more hygienic and brush her teeth and face, but tonight she just needed the sleep. Without a second thought, she placed her head down, allowing sleep to take over.

~~~

The night wasn't going to stop Toby as he walked down the street. Although it was night, the streets of the city remained busy. Lucky for him, he blended into the crowd.

He stopped as he looked up in the police station. He saw a few cars, but none looked like the type that took HIS (Y/n).

Toby walked over to the front area and entered but he pulled his hood up. He made his over over to receptionist, giving her a glance.

"How may I help you tonight, sir?"

It might've just been his lack of patience, but be wasn't having it. He gave her a glare. He quickly grabbed her collar and slammed her down, keeping her in place with one of the backup knifes he had.

The receptionist looked up in fear, but Toby held her mouth shut. He knew there was probably an officer near, so he didn't have much time.

"Now, no funny shit, just tell me where the hell is , and I'll be on my way," Toby said in a low voice, "And if you try to play hero and act courageous, I'll make sure it'll be the last act you'll ever do,"

The lady didn't say a word as Toby let go of her mouth, she only stared at him in fear. With his patience already thin, he pulled the knife out of the table and slid her throat. She didn't fight him back, she didn't scream.

If there was one thing he hated more then loud wanna be hero cops, it was the cowards who pretended to be the heros.

He made his way over to the computer, typing into the employee information. Tony searched her name and found her file. He smiled as he saw her most recent description,

"Officer (Y/n) (L/n), being renounced from detective back down to patrol officer,"

Toby frowned, he knew she cared about her title. Her reputation meant the world to (Y/n).

With his search being a deadend Toby let out a groan. Not long after, Toby heard footsteps coming closer. He quickly made his way out of the building, not bothering to turn back.

As Toby left the building, his heightened senses heard the screams of horror, most likely finding the dead body.

He smirked to himself. Unlike before, he purposely left the body as a message. He wanted (Y/n) to see it.

Toby Rogers was coming for her.

~~~

Can someone explain what's happening with Katsoway? I was going to re-read the original story for my fanfic but all I see is what appears to be drama. I would like to know what's going on but I'm not sure what's real or what's rumors.