Chapter FIFTEEN

"Alright, we're here-"

Myungjun felt a gas mask be shoved onto his head, making him choke from the tightness around his jaw.

"And what was that for?!" He snapped, adjusting it a little.
"We don't know if the virus is easily spread. We need these on." Tae said, him having a mask too.

Eunwoo had followed on, light flashing orange as he took in the new environment.
"Hey- your machine, will it need a mask too?"

"Why the fuck would he need a mask."
"I don't know, the fumes could damage his processors or something?"
Myungjun blinked and turned to Eunwoo, who looked at him.

"Do you need a gas mask? Or will your system survive the toxic fumes?"
"My systems are built to sustain any sort of poison or harmful vapour. I will be just fine without one, but I give my dearest thanks for the offer."

Myungjun nodded and Tae led them to site, the omega nearly gagging at the sight.
It was a wolf, an Alpha it seemed.
Its guts were spilling out of its body, its mouth was open, with a red-like liquid leaking out of it onto the ground.

Its eyes were blood shot red, and there was a stench of vomit near the wolf.

"Whatever this fucking virus is.. it's no good." Tae mumbled, holding his clipboard close.
"You're right. Eunwoo? Take a sample."

"On it, Captain."

Eunwoo went up to the infected wolf and pulled its jaws open slightly, swiping his fingers across its tongue.
His system worked hard, searching for what sort of virus this could be- before he finally found it.

"I have analysed the virus, and have come to a conclusion. Would you like me to elaborate on my research?"

Myungjun gestured for him to go ahead.

"Regulus - long considered a myth, something made up. However, it is a deadly virus that affects the nervous system and the brain cells. Some wolves consider it a blessing from a divine being. The infected regenerate wounds much faster than an average wolf, and they possess insane strength that usually causes them to turn agggresive in situations that are minor." He began.

"When enough anger builds up in their body, they release a toxin that makes their strength go up by 100%. That is, what you would call, 'Berserker mode'. They are dangerous, yet easily found as they are much larger than a normal wolf of their rank."

Myungjun hummed as he listened, nodding.
"So these things - are they caused by direct contact or what?"

"They can be. But Regulus is also genetically passed down, though it is rare. Genetic Regulus is less dangerous than the virus version, but you will, sooner or later, die from the virus by disintegration."

"Disi- really?"
"Yes, Captain."

Tae quickly wrote everything down.
"Alright! Awesome, we know more about this now. One more thing we need you to investigate- see that vine covered tree? Yeah, take a look and see if anything is there."

"Sure." Myungjun said, going to the spot they were directed to, while Eunwoo followed on.

Myungjun pushed past the vines, cutting some away with his knife, ears perking up when he heard a weird noise.
Eunwoo's sensors picked up the sound too, light flashing yellow.

Myungjun took out his gun, and went in, growling mentally.
Something was very wrong with this place- it didn't seem normal.
It was unsettling, and it seemed.. detached from the outside world.
It was murky and silent, occasional croaks of frogs or singing of birds.