Chapter TWENTY FOUR

Eunwoo sniffed around, nose buried into the ground as he picked up the scent of the Alpha.
His mechanical ears spun with every twitch and noise he heard, eyes searching around, just incase anything were to happen - most likely, anything ambush him.

His metal paws dug into the ground with each step he took, claws unsheathed.
His tail swayed gently with the wind, fur ruffling just a little with each whisp.
The wind whispered along his fur, the sweltering sun beat down onto the forest.

The weather was having mood swings, that was for sure. There had been a storm earlier on, now it was a nice, sunny evening.
Even though, the sun was going down past the mountain.

He could smell smoke in the air, though. Something pretty bad was happening, and he would find out what was happening.
He sniffed around more, eventually being lead to the heart of the emerald forest.

There was something eerie about the atmosphere. There was no birds singing their beautiful songs, instead, he could see them flying opposite of where he was going - forward.
A black butterfly floated past him, and he nearly got distracted by it as he started analyzing it.

Immediately, his mind went back to his mission. He was determined to finish it, he never failed a mission.
He would never fail a mission.
He heard rustling, and before he could react, something ran into him, toppling him and the thing over.
Whirling around, he heard a whimper and saw a small wolf there.

"P-Please! Don't hurt me! It was an accident, I swear!" The wolf cried, tail curled in on itself.
"It is quite alright. Do not worry, for I am not on your bad side. If you do not mind, why are you running away from that area in particular?"

The wolf blinked and looked at him.
"Didn't you hear? There's a massive fire spreading! The only safe space is past the reservoir, you need to go too before the flame demon eats you!"

"Flame demon? Hey! Hey hang on, please!"
Before Eunwoo could ask another question, the wolf was gone.
Eunwoo's light flashed red.
There was a fire? And the only way to survive was to go past the..  the so called Reservoir?

He made a note of that, and began going in the direction that the wolf came running from.
The wolf hadn't lied.

There was a massive fire spreading.
It was engulfing the forest trees with such ease, it was unsettling.
Flames licked at the trunks and leaves of the trees, while also infesting the ground.
Eunwoo backed away, when he heard laughter behind him.

His mechanical ear twisted as he turned, seeing a black figure there.
"Look at you! Long time no see, Robot boy."
Eunwoo immediately recognized the man.
He was the guy from a few days ago, the one that tried to kill him.

"May I ask, what are you doing here? You should be evacuating to safety. It is not safe here." Eunwoo said with a stern tone, observing the big wolf.
"Safety? My friend, oh dear. You don't understand. I am not in danger! I have come this way, as I can sense my sons scent. I am scared he might be injured. Would you help me look for him?"

Eunwoo's light flickered orange. The dude's son was the mutated Alpha?
He couldn't pass up on an opportunity like that! He could finally catch the Alpha!

"I will most certainly be able to help you, sir. I have a lead on him, if you wish to, you may follow me."
"Oh.. yes.. I will follow you."

Eunwoo nodded, before turning away and walking again, sniffing around as he walked towards the Alpha's scent.
The other Alpha behind him was unnecessarily quiet. Like he was plotting something- or, maybe, he was just looking to see if he was correct with where he was leading him.

The Alpha mentioned feeling scared, however. Eunwoo didn't sense any fear or apprehension, worry even. All he could scent off of him was excitement. He didn't know whether that was good or not.

As he went on, he noticed that the scent was fading.
His software started flashing violently when he saw an arc of flames appear out of nowhere.
He jumped back and hit the Alpha, who cursed under his breath.
Trees collapsed under the pressure of the fire, and the ground rumbled with the trees falling.

"We need to go. You need to go." Eunwoo said, turning back to the Alpha.
"What? But my son-"
"Sir I do not know whether you can see correctly, but there is flames eating away at the grass and trees. It is unsafe for you to proceed on further."

"And you?"
"I will be completely fine. I am he-"
Eunwoo's ears picked up on a muffled whimper.
He turned around to see where the sound was coming from, and before he could go to the area, he was tackled to the ground.

Whipping around, his software flashed.
The wolf was now growling, a red tint in his eyes. There was an insane strength in his grip, and his teeth seemed to be 10 times sharper.
"Sir?"
"Don't. Fucking. Go there."

Eunwoo pushed him off, hearing snarls as he sprinted to the spot.
There was a tied up omega there, who looked like he'd seen better days.
He attempted to take off the ropes securing him in place, but he was slammed to the ground again.

Before he could react, his arm was crushed under a tree, making him let out a yelp-like sound.

-component 9541BPS° damaged. Mobility restricted.

He tried to move it out from under the trunk, but nothing. It was stuck there.
He saw a pool of purple liquid just surrounding the crushed, metal arm.

-Purple liquid level low in Area - 3.1, restore immediately.

He growled as the wolf approached again, pressing down on the trunk.
"Should be firmly stuck there. Now."

He went over to the omega, who whimpered and kicked, trying to get out of his grasp.
"I heard you have a lot of robot buddies, don't cha? So.. why don't you play with your favourite one, huh?"

Out of the flames, a familiar face came - Vernon.

Eunwoo struggled to get out, pulling and pulling at the arm.
The wolf smirked as he approached him.
"Good luck."

He ran, and Vernon gave a roar.
Eunwoo's light flickered yellow.
He hissed at the stuck arm, pulling harder and harder with each step that the giant wolf took.
Finally, he bottled up enough strength, and he ripped his arm out.
His arm stayed underneath the trunk, so there was just a gaping hole of wires at his side now, leaking purple down his side.

Only one arm.. he could work with this, for now.

Breaking into a sprint, he heard Vernon erupt a spine-chilling howl that shook the whole forest, and along with that, thuds.
Eunwoo took twisted turns, slid into tight spaces, did anything to lose the monster. But it was impossible.
The thing could track him as easily as he, himself, could do so.

And with him leaking purple everywhere he ran, he wasn't surprised that this was happening.
Finally, after a while of running, he heard the thumps getting faint and the heavy breathing disappear.

He stopped to check the damages on his side, analyzing it.
He was losing purple liquid quickly, and the effects of it would probably show soon.

The scent of the mutated Alpha was strong in this area, but his sense of smell was shutting down slowly, so he couldn't be 100% sure.

Suddenly, the air was pierced with a shrill yell that he would recognize anywhere.

Captain.

His mind immediately dived away from the mission, and instead, he went towards where the scream came from.

His software flashed, and his vision was clouded with a bright light.