.21.

"It wasn't real. I was hallucinating. I hallucinate a lot anyway," I keep muttering the words under my breathe again and again in order to give myself a believable explanation to why the bag twitched.

I pour myself another cup of coffee, hold the cup in my hands and stare at it for a minute.

"IT WAS NOT REAL!"

"What's not real?"

Hearing Gray's voice, I jerk so hard that the some of the coffee spills on my tee. When she comes and stands beside me, I huff. "I spilled coffee on myself cause of you."

"Then clean it."

Gray pulls out some tissues from the box kept on the counter. She turns towards me, her hand reaching out to clean the coffee stains. Her eyes land on my chest, stays there for a second and then look into my eyes. "Here. You clean it."

I shake my head and take the tissues. Wetting them a little, I try to wipe the coffee.

"What's not real?"

"Nothing," I lie. "I was thinking about a dream."

"A dream? What dream?"

"None of your business."

Gray say anything. She leans against the counter with her phone in her hand. I look at her to see her biting her lips with brows furrowed at something and I gulp.

"I don't know why I even pay them," she mutters under her breathe. I crumble the tissue in one hand, pick the half-filled coffee cup in the other. Turning away, I throw the tissue and turn back only to collide with Gray. This time, the coffee spills on her.

"I'm so sorry—"

"What's with you and spilling coffee?" She sighs, glaring the cup in my hands.

"It wasn't my fault! You came too close!"

"I was reaching for a cup."

"Just..clean it. And hope your chest isn't burnt like mine did."

"Shouldn't you clean it?" She raises a brow. "Your mess, you clean."

I place the cup on the counter, begrudgingly take hold of some tissues, hold them under the faucet and stand in front of Gray. I place one of my hands on her shoulders and start wiping away the coffee off her shirt.

"You smell good," she comments and leans in to take a whip. Her nose touches my hair and I smile.

"You smell like this, too, idiot. It's your cologne."

"I smell like this?" Gray asks as she put rubs her hand on my hair. "No wonder why your friend was being so clingy."

I stop cleaning and look up. "What friend?"

"The pretty one. She was at Laura Hart's house." Gray furrows her brows again. "Tessa? Tiffany? Tiara?"

"Trish?"

"Yeah. She's the one," Gray conforms.

I narrow my eyes. "Why was she with you?"

"Savanna ditched her," she shrugs. "Like you ditched Shiv and me, y'know. So she thought she'll just hangout with me."

"Only you?" I ask, trying to not raise my voice? "What us that—"

"Chill, we just watched a movie. And maybe cuddled a little? But that's not the point."

My heart skips a beat. "C-cuddle?"

Gray looks at me and scoffs. "Don't tell me you're upset. You're acting like I fucked her or something. Plus, I don't go around interrogating you when you fuck around with others."

I grit my teeth. "Shut up." I take a breathe. "You never think I'm ever enough, do you? It's always someone else. Why, Gray?"

"It's not about you not being enough, alright? It's about you being a minor and me not being a pedo."

"Our age difference is just a year!

"You're still a minor."

"What about after I turn 18?" I ask, inching closer. "If then I tell you that I want you, will you have me?"

I must be looking very, very fucking desperate.

"No."

My heart drops.

"W-why?"

Before she could answer, othwr voices start drifting into the room.

"No, Ash, we aren't fucking gonna hurt them!" Hearing Shiv's voice, I step away from Gray.

"I don't understand why you even care! Them being alive or dead shouldn't be concerning you!" Yashika says.

Both of them enter the kitchen together,  frowning at nothing in particular.

"What's happening?" Gray asks, straightening herself.

Shiv scoffs. "Nothing new. Ash is being the bitch she is."

Gray folds her hands over her chest and raises a brow at Yashika. The latter shrugs. "Your brother here doesn't want us to target the Das siblings. I think he has caught feelings or something."

"Why are we even targeting them?" Shiv argues. "Just cause the Delians have a chance of going after them? That's fucked up."

"We are fucked up."

"And also, only Kaira Delian has already taken Saanvi Das with her. Zaix and Yuvan Das have got something going on, but maybe Zaix is only using him."

They all keep arguing, mostly Yashika and Shiv. Gray gives her opinion time after time and I stand beside her with my mouth shut. Everything goes as it always goes until Shiv and Yashika decide to hit each other with anything they could get their hands on. I decide it's time to get out before one of them kills the other.

"I'm outta here," I tell Gray. But before I could walk away, my eyes land on the knife that flies towards me. As a reflex, I flinch and close my eyes shut and wait for the sharp object to hit me. But it doesn't.

Instead, I hear a loud sound of metal hitting metal and everyone goes quite. Opening my eyes, I see a metal plate in front of me and the knife on the ground.

Gray removes the plate and I see a gun in her other hand. She points it towards Yashika, "If that knife had touched a single hair of hers," and then points it towards Shiv, "I'd have separated your  head from your body."

Shiv and Yashika keep looking at Gray and me with ashen faces, trying to say say something but not daring to.

"Get out. Now." And they leave.

I exhale and realize that I've been holding my breathe for this long. Gray bends down and picks up the knife. After washing it, she puts it in where it was.

"You okay?"

I nod. "Thanks."

"Anytime," she stands in front of me, pushing me onto the counter a little. "I'll protect you any time. But I won't have to do it if you can be safe all by yourself."

I don't say anything as my heart starts pounding harder in my chest.

"And do you know how you can stay safe?"

"H-how?"

"By staying away from me."

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●