CHAPTER 2: LORD MARQUIN

Esterpine

Claire found herself in the palace garden the morning after the feast, as advised. Queen Jade had requested it to discuss her training. Koldis trailed in her wake, along with two pairs, keeping a respectful distance. She hadn't expected a garden in the forest to be much different from the forest itself, but it was. It took her breath away. Filled her. Enchanted her.

Everywhere she looked, there was something to gawk at. Fountains gushing with water for birds to frolic, elaborate pots sculpted into the shapes of animals filled with overflowing growth, trees grafted into intricate twisting archways. It was paradise.

She had only to wander the paths a few minutes before the queen emerged with an unfamiliar Sprite male beside her. "Lady Claire! Welcome."

"Your Majesty!" She curtsied.

The queen took her shoulders and gave her much the same greeting as the day before. "You enjoyed the feast, I hope?"

"I did, Your Majesty. Thank you. It was perfect."

And it had been. Much to her delight, there were a variety of foods...except meat. Spiced breads, vegetable broths and medleys, seasoned potatoes, custards, fruit pies, cakes, and more. She'd all but gorged herself, as had everyone else in her entourage. Even Koldis managed to keep his grumbling to a minimum.

There had been music too, and dancing, and plenty of mingling. She'd learned more names than she could remember. One Sprite after another sought her out for introductions. Luckily, Jeanine had quickly found her and helped her navigate the rigors of it. She'd even met the villagers of Kaljah, who were most eager for her attention. By bedtime, she'd all but collapsed into an exhausted, dreamless sleep, only rousing when Koldis insisted she wake up to resume their training. She managed to shrug him off, only to remember she was to meet Queen Jade after breakfast. That had her jumping out of bed and dressing for the day ahead.

"Good. I am glad you enjoyed yourself," Queen Jade said, all smiles. "Now, I wanted to introduce Lord Marquin."

"Lady Claire." The male bowed deeply. She eyed him a moment, taking him in. He was only half a head taller than she, and didn't appear as young as Prince Feowen, but it was impossible to gauge his age. Sprites were immortal. His skin was flawless, but his golden eyes were old and intelligent. Like most Sprites, his features were angular and feline, his chin, the sharpest of all, which made him look inhuman. "It is a pleasure to meet you," he added. "I am honored that the queen has selected me for this task."

"Lord Marquin is a dear friend of mine," the queen said by way of explanation. "He has graciously agreed to assist you. Our magic is quite different to that of the Drengr, as I am sure you have gleaned." Jade's eyes flicked to Claire's markings and back.

"Yes, thank you. It is a pleasure to meet you, Lord Marquin. As you say, Your Majesty, I have never felt quite comfortable with Drengr magic. But Sprite magic..." She let the sentence go unfinished. Behind her, Koldis shuffled but said nothing. Thank the gods for that.

"I can assure you, Lord Marquin is accomplished. I can think of none better suited for such a task."

And the queen was probably right. In looking at her new instructor, she believed it. Lord Marquin was dressed conservatively in a pair of knee length pants and a sheer white tunic, which hung loosely about his torso. She saw a plethora of glowing marks through the fabric covering his chest and arms. Badges that spoke to his abilities. She was certain they scrolled over his legs too. And probably in places she's rather not picture.

"You do me great honor, my queen." Lord Marquin placed a hand over his heart, offering his queen a respectful bow.

Queen Jade gave a nod, glanced briefly about, then returned her gaze to Claire. "I will leave the two of you to work out the details of your training. I shall not interfere, but know that you may always come to me for anything at all, Lady Claire. Anything." And her tone spoke more than her words. She expected Claire to trust her. To tell her everything. Which only made Claire want to do anything but that. "Know that while you are here, you are family."