CHAPTER 42: PARTING WAYS (BONUS!)

The Gable Forest

Claire had never traveled as a queen. Had never realized what it entailed, how much coordination was involved, how much fuss. Everyone had an opinion, like when exactly they should depart the city, what sorts of provisions ought to be brought, how many gowns would be needed to keep her looking queenly. It was a wonder they'd made it out of Esterpine, traversing the western path that would take them towards Fort Squall.

A week had passed since the Solstice Ball—a night she wasn't soon to forget. There'd been dancing—so much dancing—into the early hours of dawn. Tables groaning with sweet treats and savory bites. Ethereal music that felt like pure magic. She'd laughed, smiled until her face hurt, and danced until her feet ached.

While it didn't compare to the ball held in Kastali Dun, simply because of the larger-than-life presence she missed, the arms she missed holding her, it had been splendid in its own right. Her body ached for Talon, for his nearness, his touch. She missed their banter, their secret looks, that feeling of sharing something between just them, something no one else could fathom. The feeling of being a team. Gods, she even missed her ability to speak mind to mind.

But, she was closer than ever to having him back. Each step through the forest was one step nearer to him. She was giddy with anticipation, eager to the point of bursting. There was an undercurrent of fear too. She'd changed in the past few months. What would he think of her new marks? She'd shed humanity like a cloak and taken up an otherworldly appearance. As a Drengr, would he find it off-putting? Would he miss the girl she was?

"So...what's with the bow? Was it a solstice gift?" Reyr's shoulder bumped into hers.

"Oh, hello." She hadn't noticed him falling into step beside her. "It was a gift."

"From?"

"My tutor. He thought it might serve me better than sitting stagnate in his cottage."

Her mind swept back to their parting, to Pelwyn hunched over his flowerbeds. She'd been heartbroken to say goodbye. Heartbroken by the thought that he might not be there when—if—she ever returned. But the moment he'd seen the look on her face, he'd scolded her and told her to quit acting like he was already gone. That was when he'd led her into his cottage, offered her the most priceless thing in his possession.

"I see," said Reyr. "You will receive a bow during your bonding ceremony too, you know."

"I...right." She'd considered that. The bonding ceremony bow—the bow every Drengr gifted his mate. Talon's gift would be special for obvious reasons. But Pelwyn's bow held sentimental value too. It had been the missing piece that allowed her magic to blossom. "I suppose I can frame my tutor's bow on the wall and keep just the arrows to use with the one Talon will give me."

"What's so special about the arrows?" Reyr eyed the quiver she'd slung over her back. Instead of answering, she offered him a sly smile, gripping Isabella's quarterstaff—

"Hey you two, Taylynn suggests we pause for respite in the glade up ahead." Koldis had fallen back into line with them. "That is...if it is all right with Her Majesty."

"Enough, Koldis. And yes, fine with me. I could use a rest."

They'd been walking for hours—a procession of nearly fifty-five bodies making their way through the forest. Not only were their twenty Drengr-Rider pairs with them, she'd brought her two handmaidens, her eight Queen's Guard, Taylynn, and King Talon's two Shields. But that wasn't all. Trailing behind them were a delegation of unicorns, complements of Taylynn. "You're a queen now. You'll need to arrive at the war camp in style," was all Taylynn had said when she asked. As for maintaining her title of queen, Taylynn still hadn't allowed her the time to broach the subject. But she intended to before they departed from the trees.