CHAPTER 11: BLOOD LINES

Esterpine

Koldis relayed orders to his pairs, settling into the role of commander, keeping close contact as he stationed them all around the outskirts of Esterpine. They were waiting for Claire—waiting for her to appear. His mind raced. Images continued to pour in. Shadows. Trees covered in rot. Vines twisting and claiming. His breathing came in great gasps as Claire's fear leached into the projections.

He'd considered telling Queen Jade. Considered storming into her throne room and demanding she retrieve Claire. He'd drag her out into the forest himself if he had to, but just as he'd raced to the palace, Claire came free of the darkness. Now her images were clearer, laced with green and not black.

"Lord Koldis! She's here!" He almost cried with relief a short while later when Madeleine and Nokin's telepathic thought pulled him to the northern side of Esterpine. He ran faster than he thought possible. Sprites watched him streak past with quizzical expressions. They had no idea of what transpired outside their precious city. No idea of the threat.

Claire had left on the western side. It's where he'd stationed himself to wait, expecting her to return the same way. She'd somehow come back to an entirely different place. It was the forest. The gods damned forest.

Relief poured over him at the glint of golden hair when he saw it. She was alive. Safe.

"Claire! I'm here," he called. The second she spotted him, a sob erupted from her chest. She ran for him and launched herself at him. He folded her into his arms, engulfing her in safety.

"I'm fine," she sobbed. "I'm...fine, Koldis. I'm...I'll be fine. I'm fine." She repeated the words, breathless and gasping. She must have run the entire way here. "I'll be fine."

He held her there for the gods only knew how long, his queen, resting his chin on her head. Her breathing grew steadier. Her trembling subsided. Only then did he glance down and notice her hair, infested with leaves and twigs. Dirt streaked her clothes. Despite the tension, he almost laughed, seeing her like this. A wild thing. Untamed. A true queen.

He spotted blood on her clothes. Not enough to be lethal. He held her at arms length. "What the hell happened?"

"I...it was the forest. But...I'm okay. Really. I shouldn't have panicked like that. I just...I wasn't prepared for it." Her face turned a darker shade of red.

"You have nothing to be ashamed of, Claire. I would have reacted similarly. Believe me. It's this...this place. Something isn't right. Something—" A commotion sounded. He looked up, only to narrow his eyes. "You! What is the meaning of this?"

"I do not answer to you, Lord Koldis." That voice.

"Well, I want answers gods damn it! Look at her. Look at her." He didn't mean to, but he turned Claire at the shoulders so that Taylynn would see her—see the result of the forest.

Claire pulled out of his grasp. "I'm fine, Koldis, really. Taylynn saved—"

"I don't care if she saved the whole damn forest," he hissed. "You could have died."

"She wouldn't have," Taylynn simply said. "Now, step aside, Lord Koldis. I have buisness with my mother."

"No. I want answers. Not later. Now."

Taylynn sighed, as if resigned. "Answers you will have. I will meet you in the palace shortly. See to the queen first." He started, glancing around to be sure none of the others had heard. How did she know? "Her wound requires tending. And I'm sure she'd appreciate a bath and some food. Get her somewhere she can rest. I will visit you then. You'll have your answers, Drengr. Or as much as I can truly give you."