CHAPTER 5: CATS HAVE CLAWS

Dragonfire Sea

Bennett emerged on deck into the bright sunlight, blinking. One of the rare sunny days during this time of year. He immediately scanned his crew, looking over their activity. Several on duty snapped into action upon seeing him, suspiciously busier than they had been moments before. Those enjoying off-time were scattered about the main deck in clusters, playing dice mostly. He spotted a game of Rue at the foredeck.

His eyes fell on the figure, straight as a rod, standing at the railing. He harrumphed at the sigh of her. No doubt she—

"Afternoon, Captain." Jonah sidled up to him. "I've—"

"How long's she been standing there?"

"Oh." Jonah stopped short, looking in Cat's direction. "Better part of an hour, I think."

Bennett frowned. "Any trouble from the crew?"

"The crew?! She's the one that gives the trouble, Cap—" Bennett narrowed his eyes. Jonah cleared his throat. "No. Nothin' more than suspicious looks."

"Good." He gave a nod to dismiss Jonah, though he knew his first mate had buisness to discuss. It could wait 'til later. He strode across the deck and stopped beside the woman who'd become the biggest inconvenience the sea had to offer.

He'd fought many a ship's battle on this deck. Killed assailants who dared to sink him. Run every kind of cargo from priceless Ice Metal to illegal contraband. But something made him hesitate when he stopped beside Cat.

Even at a side view she looked...like hell, despite her uncommonly pretty features. Her face was pale. Her hair in disarray. Her clothes wrinkled. But it was more than that. It wasn't the look of someone who'd had a rough past couple of days—and she had, certainly. It was the look of someone who'd had their entire life tipped on end.

She said nothing at his appearance, staring ahead as if he didn't exist. The land was so far away that it was a flat smudge on the horizon. She pretended to watch it.

He chewed on his tongue, eager to say something cutting and harsh. Instead— "You feeling any better?"

"What do you want?"

There it was—that tone. He was certain she'd used often throughout her life. He sighed. "What I want, is to know if you're feeling better, girl."

She turned to sneer at him. "What do you think, Captain? Do I look better?"

Truthfully, no. But he wasn't going to say that. She'd heaved up her guts for the first three days at sea. Refused to come on deck for most of that time, until Jonah convinced her she'd feel better with fresh air. At least she wasn't carting a bucket around with her anymore.

"Well?"

He shrugged. "Hard to say, which is why I thought to ask."

She snorted. "I do not see how I can be better, so long as I'm stuck on this gods' forsaken—"

"I could toss you over the side, if you like." He pictured her hauled up and over, screaming, and chuckled. "It would do us all a favor, I think."

"I'd like to see you try." Dismissive, she turned to leave. He grabbed her arm, rooting her to the spot. Her face transformed, eyes blazing. She uttered a word and he yelped, pulling back his hand, burned.

Magic.

"You would dare?!" he hissed.

"Touch me again and I'll do worse."

He sputtered and watched her go, quite stunned. She'd used magic—against him! She dared.

"Prickly as an urchin," he muttered. No. On second thought. She was worse. He watched her retreat. She settled herself at the back of the ship, as far as possible from where he stood.