CHAPTER 39 (BONUS!!): SOLSTICE BALL

Esterpine

Jeanine finished the final touches on her hair. She'd donned a silver gown for the ball. It was silly, the need to change from the purple gown worn earlier into something else. Feowen had been insistent that appearances were everything. He'd be wearing silver too.

A tap on the glass door got her attention. She saw Feowen waiting outside. She faltered, then picked up her pace to admit him. "Flowers?" She eyed the bouquet in his hand.

"For you, of course. I hear this is the sort of thing humans do?" He lifted a perfectly arched dark eyebrow.

She held in her chuckle. "Yes, I suppose so. My father used to sneak out during spring and collect wildflowers for my mother." A pang of sadness tightened her chest. She pushed it away.

"Right. Have you a vase for them?" he asked. She eyed him a moment longer, then glanced around the dwelling. "Ah, this will do," he said, striding forward before she could stop him. He plucked a vase from one of the displays in the sitting area, muttered a few words in his Sprite language, effectively filling it with water before slipping the flowers in. He'd picked a variety, with bursts of color in every shade.

She watched, unable to tear her eyes from him. He wore the same black pants from earlier, but a silver tunic that was nearly translucent. His luminescent markings flowed over the corded muscles along his back, shoulders, arms. Her mouth went dry. She swallowed.

"Jeanine?"

"Huh?"

"I said, where would you like them?"

"Oh." She cleared her throat. "On the table, please." She barely looked at the flowers, even though they were beautiful, unable to tear her eyes from him. He set the vase down and stalked over to her.

"You look ravishing," he said, pulling her into his arms. His eyes darted to her chest, to his Solstice gift. A stunning necklace of starlight silver that glittered with white diamonds.

"Feowen!" she scolded, trying to push at him as he pressed her against him.

"What?"

"Everyone will see." It was true. Sprites made their way down the walking paths to the throne room where the Spring Solstice ball was being held. Some of the paths directly passed her dwelling. And since the walls were glass, they were on display.

"So? Let them see." His mouth captured hers. Heat pooled in her core. She couldn't push him away—not now. So she kissed him back. His lips lingered, but at last, he pulled away. "I hope you will promise me the first dance of the evening? Actually, on second thought..." He hesitated. "Is it too much to ask that you reserve every dance of the evening for me?"

She tutted. "I'll see what I can do." Her stomach fluttered.

Feowen only smiled, taking her hand, leading her through the city. "These stars are truly something," he mused. They glittered in the growing darkness, light sparkling through various colors. It was enamoring.

"I can't believe Claire folded so many! My fingers would have fallen off."

Feowen barked a laugh. "I'd have kissed them better, you should know that."

"Since when did you get so sweet?" she teased.

He turned to her, eyes narrowed. "Perhaps when you got interesting?"

"But I have always been interesting. And that would imply that you've always been sweet. Mostly, you've just been annoying."

He dropped his jaw in mock surprise. "Me? Annoying?"