CHAPTER 7: PASSING TIME IN ESTERPINE

Esterpine

Claire sealed her letter to Talon and passed it to the palace attendant waiting outside in the hallway. He took it, assuring her it would be sent along with a carrier that afternoon. She dismissed him with her thanks and turned to find Koldis standing, watching her.

A week had flashed by in a blink, and with it, a deepening sense of pressure. While she was no closer to gaining any new forms of Sprite magic, she was feeling more confident in the language. That had to count for something...right? She could form simple sentences with a decent lilting accent. She could communicate in a basic manner. She could roughly understand the words spoken around her. She even conversed with the residents of the city at every opportunity, immersing herself.

Sure, she still stumbled plenty, asked for clarification frequently, and forgot words. But she was learning. This language was in her blood. She was meant to know it. Her body, mind, and soul knew that. Especially because just like her first time visiting the forest, there were words that often popped into her head that she didn't remember learning.

"Letter for Talon?" Koldis asked, grinning as she shut the door to the suite they shared.

His bed chamber was on the opposite side of the living area, across from hers. There were two other bedrooms besides theirs, afforded to the wing leader and wing second pairs that traveled with them. All other pairs had their own accommodations down the hall. Most of the pairs still passed through the suite throughout the day. It had become something of a hub for their companions. Besides the large dining room, the living space bosted two separate sofa arrangements and a small library, replete with plush arm chairs. Everything was centered around a six foot crystaline fireplace taking up the middle of the room. One benefit of crystal was its transparency. The fireplace need not sit against a wall, for all could see the everlasting green fire burning within. A fire that never died.

"Are you feeling better?" she asked, ignoring his question. He looked rested, at least.

"Yes, but you didn't answer," he said, wandering across the room to where she stood.

She sighed. "Yes, if you must know. It was a letter for Talon. I figured it was time to give him an update on my progress," she said matter-of-factly, "let him know how things were going with my training." She'd drafted a short note to him the day after arriving in Esterpine, just to inform him that she was safe, but the one today had taken a full page.

Koldis snorted. "Riiight. An update." His eyes danced. "Dear Talon. I miss you sooo much. I can't stop thinking ab—arahhh!" She punched him in the stomach. Hard. He keeled over. "Gods! When did you get so strong?"

"I've had a good teacher." She grinned.

"Right. Why did I ever think teaching you to punch like that was a good idea?" He groaned, rubbing his abdomen.

"Beats me," she said, eying him. "Oh, quit being such a baby. You're like a soccer player. I barely put any oomph behind it."

"A...what player?"

"A soccer player."

He tilted his head. "Is that a kind of...musician or something?"

She burst into laughter. "Are you kidding me right now? Soccer isn't an instrument, idiot."

"Well, how am I supposed to know?"

She thought about explaining it to him, the American version of football. "It's a little like Mallets," she said. "Except instead of hitting the ball with a mallet, you kick it. And it's a softer ball. And bigger."