CHAPTER 10: CALLING WATER

Esterpine

Claire flipped through the pages of a leather-bound journal in her lap, admiring the hand drawn charcoal sketches. Each showed a different flower with exquisite shading and detail. Beside each flower was a description detailing scent, size, color, and more. Everything was written in the Sprite language. Ednuar. Reading Ednuar was much harder than speaking it. But she considered it an opportunity to improve her knowledge of the forest's flowers as well as its language.

She brushed her finger over a daffodil, shaded by a deft hand. It didn't look quite like the daffodils she was familiar with, but close enough. Zahreh. She whispered the word aloud.

Koldis sat in the armchair opposite her. He was reading too, a book on the history of Sprite weaponry. She stole glances at him, noticing the way his brow furrowed, the little frown that had taken up residence on his face, pulling at the corner of his full lips.

"It can't be that boring, can it?" She didn't bother hiding her teasing tone. He glanced up and threw her a glower. Answer enough, she supposed. She sighed and shut the journal, wrapping its leather ties around it and securing them. Koldis pretended not to notice, and flipped to another page. "I think tomorrow is the day," she said at last, studying him for a reaction. She'd been waiting to bridge this subject, wary of what he might say.

"Day for what?" he said, keeping his voice level. Feigned disinterest.

"I'm ready, Koldis. It's been two weeks. My use of Ednuar has advanced. I'm ready to try my first solo venture into the forest." He shut his book then, and looked at her. "Well? Isn't this the part where you tell me all the reasons why I shouldn't? Why it's too dangerous?"

He sighed. "How long do you wish to be gone, my queen?"

Her eyes narrowed. She shifted to better face him. "A day or two? Long enough to be alone, short enough that I don't starve if I can't summon my own food."

Koldis regarded her. "I suppose it's time. As much as I hate the idea of you confronting whatever darkness seems to be lurking—"

"We haven't seen anything like what we saw before."

"I know. And that's what worries me. It's there. I know it's there because I've sensed it from...It's there."

"From what?" she hedged.

"It's...not important."

"No, I think it's pretty important, Koldis. You've been acting weird. Something's bothering you. I have a feeling it's more than just the stag we encountered."

He leaned back. "I'd prefer we not talk about it." His fingers traced the surface of the book in his hands, sliding over the text stamped into the cover.

"Should I be worried?" She frowned. She didn't want to force him into a discussion he'd rather avoid. But it depended on how important this thing was, whatever he was hiding.

"No. I don't see why you should be. It does not concern you. Take your trip into the forest. But no more than two days. Any longer and I will come looking."

She snorted. "And get lost in the process."

"I'll drag Feowen along."

"Fine. Fine." She exhaled, relieved. He wasn't going to fight her. Probably because he understood that the sooner she accomplished what she set out to, the sooner they might leave. She wasn't so sure it would be that simple. But one could only hope.

* **

The following day, Claire set out on her venture. She stayed alert. She never lost her path. The forest created paths intentionally, leading its occupants where it pleased. She was a willing guest, allowing it to take her where it wanted. Hopefully the way back into Esterpine wouldn't be difficult, once she decided to return.