An Assassination, Then An Invasion, Now Both?

I woke up with the sun tickly my face and a hand stroking my arm.

“Good morning baby.” He whispered against my neck.

“How’d you know I was awake?” I said muzzling into him.

“I just knew. You’re breathing patterns change.” He said pecking my shoulder. I felt the warmth of his shirtless chest under my thin cami.

“You have this cute soft snore when you’re asleep. You look so peaceful… happy.” I said turning to face him.

“Because I am peaceful and happy. I don’t think about it, them, when I’m with you. I feel safe with you. Loved. Something I haven’t felt since…” He said before stopping. I saw his eyes grow cold and distant.

“Your mom?” I asked softly. He nodded.

“Do you want to know what happened to her?” He asked looking up at me

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to.” I said sitting up.

“I want to.” He said lacing his fingers through mine.

“Are you sure?” I said looking in his eyes. His gaze met mine and nodded. “Ok.” I replied.

“The night it happened I was 7 years old. My parents were arguing like they normally did. I woke up…”

Why’s mommy and daddy yelling again? I tried to cover my ear with my pillow, but it wasn’t working. I rolled out of bed and landed on the cold wood floor. My star night light was still shining little stars around my blue bedroom. I let go of Jax and placed my stuffed teddy bear on my bed as I looked at my clock. 1:15 a.m. They shouldn’t be arguing, they should be asleep. They do know other people are in this household right?! I shook my head before slipping out of my room and walking across the hall to Jesse’s room. I peeked my head in and of course he was still sleeping. He always slept through this. I’m glad. I don’t want him to have to hear it. I walked into his room and poked him.

“Jesse.” I whispered. “Jesse!” I said a little louder. Jesse’s eyes cracked open

“Ty? What are you doing here? Are you ok?” He asked sitting up

“Don’t you hear them?” I asked quietly.

“I usually don’t. Do you wanna sleep with me?” He asked. I nodded and he scooted over allotting me some space on his bed. I closed my eyes and tried to get some sleep. I slept for another hour before I woke up noticing that the arguing stopped. But this time something was different. There was something not ok with this silence. I looked over at my sleeping brother before crawling out of his bed. I walked into my parents room to see mommy laying on the floor bleeding. Motionless. Still. I slowly walked up to her. She was so pale.

“Mommy?” I said quietly. Tears quickly coming to my eyes.

“Mommy!” I said shaking her. Then, her eyes opened.

“T-tyler?” She coughed out.

“Mommy? Who did this to you mom?” I asked seriously.

“You’re father.” She whispered. “But honey…” She said before coughing up some blood. “It wasn’t…” She said before coughing again.

“It’s ok mom. I’m here. I’m going to help you. I’m going to fix you.” I said getting up.

“It’s too late honey.” She said weak.

“No mom. No.” I said shaking my head.

“Shh baby. It’ll be ok. Shh. I’ll come back for you and Jesse.” She said lifting her hand to my face.