special chapter: the only exception

a/n: thank you so much for 1k+ reads lovelies!! <3 here's a special chapter that goes into the specifics of how exactly maya's crush on sungchan started.

YEARS AGO

~~~~~

Before Risa, Shotaro, Hendery, Xiaojun, Lucas, Jungwoo, Kun and Yangyang joined the group, the 127 squad and Dreamies had known each other since birth - whether it be from the same school, family friends, mutual friends or neighbours. The WayV friendship group didn't form until later, of course, this left Ten, Maya and Sungchan to shift between hanging out with either group.

By the time Maya was 12, she had a crush on Na Jaemin, one of the Dreamies. She only told a select few, he had given her an umbrella to use in the pouring rain while he ran in the opposite direction, heavily insisting that she could keep it.

"Crushes are gross," Her brother, Mark sneered, making Maya chuck a piece of watermelon his way, "Hey!"

Maya ignored his whines, staring outside the window of the classroom, "I think I'm in love."

"Wow, you might be the next popular school couple! Those two seniors - you know Hyuna and Hyojong? - in our school just recently started dating, ooooh~" Ten sipped (and spat) some fruit tea after revealing some, hissing at the drink as Doyoung sighed, "We're still so young, I think you're just naive."

Mark blinked, pausing his eating, "What's naive?"

"Something both you and your sister are, that's what."

~~~~~

By the time Maya was 13, she had stopped believing in romantic love.

"Bub," Maya's mother slapped the space next to her on the carpet, "C'mere for a sec."

Doing so wordlessly, Maya was concerned that she did something wrong. As she always did.

"What is it mom?"

"You know, I'm not... in love with your dad anymore." The adult breathed in, "You know we've been arguing over so many things for the longest time. There's hardly any affection unless we're out at parties, and this relationship isn't fun anymore for me."

The 13 year old with dark hair simply blinked up at her mother, "Does Mark know?"

"Yeah," The older lady tilted her head to avoid meeting her daughter's eyes, "He also knows that I've... met a... friend. From another state. He's really nice, he listens to me, he truly cares for me, and I just-"

"You're in love with him. Okay," Maya breathed in, putting on a brave face when all she wanted to do was cry.

~~~~~