23: redamancy

"How convenient that it started to rain halfway through our trip back to the formal," Risa shook her head, the annoyed expression on her face betraying her words.

Maya raised both her eyebrows in agreement, "It's fucking freezing, we should've brought our coats."

"I left mine in Jae's car," The shorter girl pouted, "But whatever, we're here anyways."

The two girls stopped however, upon seeing a surprised Sungchan inside Jaemin's car door. "You guys came back?"

"Yeah, I was fine with going home by myself but Risa should have the chance to go have a dance with Jaehyun." Maya shrugged, making herself appear as if she didn't care.

"Great." His simple, yet confusing reply stunned the girls who began to internally question his choice of words, "I'm sorry, Maya, that I was a complete knucklehead. It was literally so obvious and in front of my face, how could I not tell you have a crush on me?"

Whilst Sungchan spoke, he closed the door to the car, letting the rain touch him.

"I was gonna confess like, whenever my dad would come back." Maya had never seen a funnier sight than Sungchan, soaked due to the rain with a smile that told her that he didn't care about his conditions, "What's with the drowned deer look?"

"Actually, deers can swi- not my point!" He swiped his hands whilst rolling his eyes, "Let me just..."

Sungchan climbed onto his own brother's vehicle, standing at the top which grabbed the attention of Hendery and Xiaojun who were sitting outside — until they decided to go back in and inform the others, that is.

The two best friends looked at each other visibly puzzled, while Sungchan started playing music from a speaker — Something by The Beatles.

"Oh my god..." Risa stepped back, both her and Maya realising quickly what was going on. A small crowd had already formed.

"Holy shit, he's serenading her!" Donghyuck smacked Renjun's arm, complaining, "Why don't you do that for me?"

Sungchan felt lucky his speakers were waterproof, as the rain continued to pour, "It's you, it's always been you!"

Maya laughed incredulously, "Yo, wait, what?". She was having trouble processing what was currently happening, her heart thumping loudly as she kept eye contact with her - seemingly requited - crush.

"I said," The tall boy inhaled, "I am utterly and irretrievably in love with you, dumbass!" Maya was the first to fall in love, but Sungchan fell harder. Somewhere along the lines, the space between them had only got closer and closer.

Her eyes seemed to shine as bright as the jewellery he adorned on his wrist, a smile on her face appearing before it twisted into one of annoyance, "Excuse me?! 'Dumbass'?!"

"My dumbass." Sungchan corrected, eliciting laughs from the majority of the crowd. That included Maya, who rolled her eyes fondly, just as her crush did moments ago.