Chapter 19: Sorry

CAROLINE POV

CAROLINE POV

"Jaxon, wait!" I tried to stop him as he walked out the door. I knew I had hurt him but it wasn't easy to trust everything. Not even a month ago, I found out werewolves existed. Not even a month ago, I found out about soulmates. He wants me to trust him with my eyes closed but he wouldn't understand why I can't. All my life I've been taking cautionary steps and he just wants me to jump off the edge blindfolded.

Tanner looks at me one last time and he runs away from me.

I don't want him to get hurt because of me. As far I know Jaxon, I know he'd give up his life for his loved ones but I can't do that to him. I can't let him. I can't do that to the person who gives me so much love, appreciation, and respect.

I was about to walk back inside the cabin until I saw Will standing in the forest with his hands inside his jean pockets with a bruised lip and cheekbone. I asked, "What happened to you?" He just shrugged and replied"The attack last night. But don't worry, you should've seen the other guy." I smiled at him and he asked"Bad timing?" I shook my head and he asks again "You okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because I heard you guys fighting. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have..."

"It's okay."

Before my tear could fell, I quickly rubbed it off. He takes a deep breath and walks towards me and asks "How about I give you the tour I promised?" I smiled at him as he pushes out his arm for me to grab on it. I grabbed his arm and we started to walk at a slow pace.

"Jaxon has always been like this," he said. I asked, "Like what?" He smiled "Like he'd do anything to save anyone. Like he did for me." I looked at him as he looked at the fallen autumn leaves on the ground. The crunching sound is being made by our feet. He continued"I was one of the kids that Jaxon saved that day."

"You were one of them?"

"Yeah, and you will not even imagine the pain I felt when my savior left that day. My mother died in that war. While my father, Claude fought and didn't know where his child was."

I never knew that William was Beta's son. This same happy-bird-singing William had a tough past, was just hard to believe.

I said"I'm sorry. I didn't know that." He just shrugged it off and said"It's okay. I don't let that define me." He looked at me with a smile but I knew it wasn't real. He said"Jaxon loves you, Caroline. And because you're human, I know it will take you some time to trust him, to trust us even. But give it time. I know you feel like an outlaw but I'm sure you'll find your place soon. And I know you'd never want to leave at all."

Maybe he is right. If I'm open with Jaxon, maybe I'll understand this mate bond more. And maybe, I'll not hide anymore.

Before I could even say anything, he started sniffing the air. He asked, "Do you smell that?"