Chapter 39: War

If the end of the world was nearWhere would you choose to be?If there was five more minutes of airWould you panic and hide?Or run for your life?Or stand here and spend it with me?

Where would you choose to be?
If there was five more minutes of air
Would you panic and hide?
Or run for your life?
Or stand here and spend it with me?

Jaxon pulled me behind him and he snarled at them. Focused on their every move.
The three of them bared their teeth at us, their backs bent and fur spiking up like cats.

Jaxon snarled at them and that one single snarl was enough for the middle one to attack. But before the brown wolf could even land on us, Jaxon pushed him off against the two other wolves with no effort. The three of them pushed out of the cabin with a whine.
He turned around to me and said with eyes drowned in fear "Run!" Before he could even pull me, I asked "What's going on?" But the three wolves were back.

Bones cracked and Jaxon was in his wolf in seconds. His back bent as his tail curled around my calf. Standing in a defensive pose to fight them from getting to me. He didn't give them the chance to even attack us. He attacked, pushing all of them out of the cabin again and I ran behind him. And as I did, I looked at the chaos. Wolves running at each other. Fighting bloody. The pack was here too. Some in wolf form and some in human. The warriors fighting the rogues.

This was war. Dean had brought the war.

Jaxon was the only black wolf amidst the browns, grays, whites, and some even mixed with different color patches.

Warriors helped Jaxon keep the wolves away from the cabin and one was about to come running at me, Jaxon had grabbed it by his teeth in its mane and pulling him away from my sight, throwing him at the warriors as they ripped the wolf in two without even thinking. This was horror to watch. I watched Jaxon rip the head of the wolf from its body just with his teeth.

This was warrior training. This is what they trained to be. This is what Jaxon was trained to be. Killing machines, all of them.

Jaxon came running to me and by the way he laid his front paw on the grass, I knew he wanted me to get back on. Without even arguing about it, I ran towards him, and as I tried to get on him, a wolf grabbed me by the hem of my sweater between its teeth and pulled me flat on the ground. I screamed but Jaxon was on him in seconds, pushing him away from me with a roar of anger and throwing it to his warriors again to kill. He mind linked "Are you alright?" I nod and get back up with shaky knees. Taking a step towards him, my legs almost gave out in fear but he catches me with his head bowed down. His front paw went behind my back to me keep me in place while I balanced myself with his neck as my support. Getting low on his front paws again, I climbed on his back as he mind linked with a growl "Hold on tight. I'm gonna run fast." I laid my front on his back, grabbing the fur on his neck between my fists.

He ran like the wind. Things passed us in a blur. The trees, the warriors and the wolves. Thankful, the screams were suppressed by his running but thinking about it made me nauseous. I pressed my mouth hard against his soft velvet fur. He minds link "Baby, you okay?" I reply in the link "I'm fine." But he could see it all through it.
He was running towards the manor. Dodging every wolf that came in his way and running faster than the wolves that chased us. I could tell that some of them were his people trying to knock down the wolves and some of them were rogue. You could see it by their fur. Rogues had matted fur, they smelled too like rotten eggs. While the packs were soft and velvet.
He asked again "Are you okay?" But I ignored trying to keep the contents in my stomach from coming out on his fur. I almost cried in the mind link "Please stop." And instantly he came to halt. It took my eyes seconds to adjust to the pause, it took seconds to adjust my focus on the chaotic world around me. I got off of him, falling on my knees and crawling to the bush nearest to us. Throwing up everything. I felt my hair being gently pulled back from the right side of the face as he rubs my back with his snout. Comforting me again. He says "I'll be right back." And then roars, fighting to whatever rogue that was coming at me.