Chapter 30: Caroline, I'm Burning

Feel it in your bonesThe need for something moreThe more and more you waitIt's burning you

The need for something more
The more and more you wait
It's burning you

CAROLINE POV

I agreed to stay at least four days with him. And if something goes wrong again, I'll leave. Maybe for a year... or forever.

We were in the woods, as he held me tighter, like his life depend on it if he lets me go. I whispered"Jax." He pulled back smiling nervously and said"Would you like to go to our cabin?" I smiled and nodded"Yes, very much."
He held my hand and we walked to Patty's house.
The only way back was out the woods was to the river and then to Patty's.

As we got to the river again, no one was there except for a woman dressed in all black. She looked familiar. She turned around and I saw it was Clara. She smiled and held Jaxon like he was her son and said"I'm so sorry for your loss, sweetie. I know it's hard." He just whispered her a quick thank you.
She looked at me and then wrapped her arms around me and whispered lowly in my ear that even he couldn't hear "It's a good thing you're back. That boy needed you badly." And then I felt her fingers in my hair as she whispered again "It will be okay, Caroline. Jaxon's not him." She pulled back and I bit my bottom lip. I hated that she could read my mind but at the same, I was glad that she was there to assure me that everything will be fine. And I believe her.

Jaxon asked, "When did you get here?"

"Ten minutes ago. I'm going back home now."

"No, stay here. It's already night. You could go in the morning after breakfast."

She just smiled and nodded.

Jaxon showed her to the manor and gave her his old room to sleep comfortably. He wore his clothes and grabbed his bag.

X

After saying goodnight to Clara, we made our way to Patty's. Will opened the door, and as soon as he looked at us, he whispered"Finally." Making me smile. I went inside and told him"I'm gonna stay in our cabin." I saw Jaxon's lips curled up in a smile as I said the word 'our'. I asked, "Where's Patty?" Will replied"She's sleeping. Once we got home, she fainted like a bear." I smiled at his sarcasm for her and went into the room that they gave me for one night.

I had some things taken out, so, I put them in my bag. I picked up my night pills from the side table and put that in too. As soon as I walked out of the room, Jaxon took my bag away from me and carried it for me. I didn't say anything because I knew it was no use.

We walked to the cabin in silence. I watched him, noticed the difference. His hair had grown a little. The ends had reached the nape of his neck and they were pushed back and messier. I liked it.
His under eyes were purple like he hadn't been getting any sleep at all. He looked thin but had more muscles. His jawline was more sharpened. He wore a white shirt that was his but looked loose on him now. He smiled weakly catching me"What are you staring at?" I smiled back"You." He chuckled lazily and I asked, "You okay, Jax?" His smile disappeared and he lied "I'm fine." But I knew he wasn't "You know you can't lie to me." He nodded"I know." I stopped walking which made him stop too. I asked, "What's wrong?" He replied exhaustedly"Can we do this tomorrow, Care? I just wanna go to the cabin and sleep beside you for a while. Even twenty minutes will be perfect. Please?" I nodded my head and we began walking.