Chapter 38: Rogue

CAROLINE POV

CAROLINE POV

I was in Will and Patty's cabin, playing with Caden's little feet. Sometimes putting his little toes between my lips just to make him smile and just to get my mind off of things that weigh most on my shoulders.

Patty chuckled "The fact he likes you makes me surprised. It took him hours to accept Claude and Kane." I smiled at the two-days-old pup in my lap, coo at him "That's because Caden finds Aunty Caroline more fun, doesn't he?" He yawned with his teeth-less mouth and I smiled that someday those teeth will become canines. And I couldn't wait for him to grow up and meet his wolf. Will sat opposite on the single couch with a smile playing on his lips too. Like the adored this picture of us.

Suddenly, his eyes glazed and I knew by that look that he was being mind-linked. He said, "Jaxon says that he wants you in the auditorium." I nod my head and his eyes glazes again and a whisper comes through his lips "Fuck." Patty looks at her mate "What's wrong?" And the silence between them was enough for me to know that they were mind linking each other. A whisper comes through her lips "Fucking hell." But Will warns her silently and she says "Dean is being made rogue." She takes her pup from my lap and Will gets up from his seat "Let's go, Caroline."

"Do I have to go?"

"Yes. Because the wolves need proof of your heartbeat. Otherwise, they will not accept it when one of their own is being turned into a rogue for no reason at all."

I nod as rising to my feet and suddenly Will holds my left hand for comfort and my right hand is held by Patty. With her pup in her other arm. I look at them both with a smile of how grateful I was to them but they didn't return one.

They were hiding something.

X

We walked through the woods in silence, and they still had not let go of my hand.

We were not alone because the pack was right behind us. We all had one destination.

As we reached there, people started gathering towards the stage in the open-air auditorium as the sunsets. On the stage, there was only the Alpha King on his throne, his Beta standing beside him. Jaxon standing on his other side while Amara stood right next to him. Her red hair was cut into a sharp shaped bob from the last time I saw her. Dark purple lipstick painted across her lips made her look evil that I almost scrunched my nose in disgust. She looks at me and her lip curls in a smile. A mocking smile it was. But what kind of mockery?

A growl erupted and the wolves went silent, quiet to the point I could hear the shivers in my breathing. And as Will knew, he puts his arm around my back and pulls me to his side to support my weight and Patty has her arm around my waist, closed in on my other side. Like they were two pillars that I supported myself upon. Will took my hand in his left hand and gently rubbed soothing circles on my knuckles like it would calm me down. It didn't but I don't move my hand from his grip.