Chapter 27: Amara

JAXON POV

JAXON POV

I looked at her as she ran away from me. And for the first time, my heartfelt hurt. I put my hand on my chest and said"This hurts, Tanner."

Tanner whimpered in my brain. His tail was between his legs as he laid on the ground hiding from the pain. He asked, "Shall we go apologies?"

"Not now. Later tonight. She needs a little space from us."

X

CAROLINE POV

My heart hurt so badly as I ran away from him. I didn't even turn around to look at him. I just ran to the cabin.

I locked the doors, closed the curtains. Closed every little thing that could get me contacted to the world outside of this cabin.
I can't let anyone see me cry. Not even him. He has seen my tears but not my broken soul. And I never want him to.

Why is this happening to us?

I lied to Jaxon. I knew who Greg was talking about. I fucking lied to my mate as I looked him in the eyes and said I didn't trust him which was a lie too because I was completely falling in love with this werewolf and I was too close about telling him everything. About the cigarette burn, about him- everything. But I can't. Because once I do, I will be vulnerable. I'm not scared over the fact that he might reject me, I'm scared because I'm afraid he might hate me for the rest of his life- resent me. I can't have that. I can't hurt this beautiful werewolf that loves too much. I can't let the light dim in his eyes, the same eyes that light up like honey under the sun. And as sweet as honey he is, I am the thorn in his life. The thorn continuously pricks him but he just smiles and endures the pain without question. How could I do this to him? How could I put him in so much pain?

I let myself break down, crying out my pain as loud as I could. Crying out loud about the things that I've been keeping in for some time. I fell on the floor and lied down, crying nonstop as I prayed to his Moon Goddess above that this is nothing but a bad nightmare. A nightmare that I would wake up from and he would have me in his arms, telling me it's a nightmare and kissing me to make everything better.

X

JAXON POV

I was at Will's place. Patty was out, getting some groceries.

I sat on the couch with a beer in my hand. Will asked, "What's wrong?" I shook my head as I slouched on his couch. He again said, "Jaxon, you need to tell me." I shook my head again. He sighs and takes a sip of his beer and I look at his wedding ring. I ask "Is it easier? With a werewolf mate?" His lips spread into a warm smile but he chuckled "Sure if you're not scared of your mate threatening you to bite off your balls each time you look at a female." I smiled as he asks "Is it easy with a human?" I sigh "I'm trying, Will. It's not that I don't love her. I do, I love her too much that sometimes I feel it's impossible to love someone this much. But the hardships- she doesn't trust me. I know she loves me but she doesn't trust me." I gulp "She's hiding something, I know it- I can feel it. Tanner can too. But she won't speak. She won't tell me anything about her past. Even if I bring it up, she will try to change the topic or she would stay quiet." He looked at me as he understood what I was trying to say "With the recent attack, especially on her, she won't tell me anything. She tells that she hates when I protect her, she hates when I'm too possessive about protecting her. She acts like everything is fine when I know through the bond that the walls she's closing herself in, are cracking. And when they break, the weight of that wall will fall on her and she'll die. She'll die rather than ask me to protect her or get her out of there."