𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

Y/N POV

Later on in the day, I went into town to buy some new flowers for the garden. Most of the flowers at the house had either withered or had rotted away into nothing. I returned to the house around dusk, planning on planting the flowers before I headed off to bed. 

After getting my flowers out of the car, I observed the work I had done on the house so far. I still had to get most of the ivy off the front of the house, but the walkways were now clear. I was proud of my hard work today. "Only a few more weeks of this, and I can put it back on the market."

I walked towards the front door with my flowers in hand. I struggled to get my keys out of my pocket. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I dropped the flowers since the action was so abrupt, but I didn't want to be rude to the neighbor behind me, so I left them on the ground. 

I heard a voice behind me say, "Oh my, sorry to scare you, my dear. That is hardly a way for me to make a good introduction." The voice sounded gravelly, almost like it was coming through an old radio, and was that a laugh track?

I turned around and had to strain my head to look up. The first thing I saw was RED. His hands were wrapped delicately around a cane and he was dressed in a red suit and bowtie. He had big ears and two little antlers. Reminding me of the deer from the other night due to its hue.

 The most offputting thing about him was his smile. It stretched across his face in the most unnatural way, and his eyes were purely crimson. Terror filled my veins as I realized that he was most definitely not human. 

My self-defense class was finally going to be useful. I swiped both of his legs out from under him and kicked him, hard in the chest, propelling him backward. "This is now life and death," I said under my breath, "RUN." 

I had no idea what he was, he was unlike anything I had ever seen before. I fumbled with my keys as I tried getting them into the lock. What the hell is happening right now?! My mind could hardly believe it. As soon as I twisted the key into the lock I heard its voice behind me, coming from the ground.

"My, you have a very strong kick, my dear." He growled in a staticky voice. I bolted into the house and locked the door as fast as possible. Was he angry?

 "You know I'm not human, right Y/N? You can't hide from me." He said in a singsong voice. My eyes widened in terror, and I bolted up the stairs as fast as possible. How did he know my name?!

"Where is the best place to hide?! I need to get away from this thing!" I think to myself. Running through the halls, I scoured my mind. The library! It was tucked away at the back of the house. It has to be fibbing about coming through doors, I haven't even heard him come in yet. 

I ran into the library and locked the door behind me. I surveyed the room and only found couches and some old books. This will be good enough. Maybe I can climb out the window, but I'd probably just fall.

I leaned against the dusty, old shelves to catch my breath. Then, a shadow materialized out of the air right in front of me. The red creature was now back and it had trapped me against the shelves with his arms. "Well shit." I thought. "This is how I die." I was terrified of the thing in front of me. 

His smile stretched across his face, but he had a very menacing look in his eyes. He leaned down to look at me. "Didn't I tell you that you couldn't hide?" His voice was gentle but I could sense the venom deep within it. 

I was pushed back against the shelves. Each of his hands slammed the bookshelves right next to my head and stayed there. I was cornered, like a tiny animal. I had always hated feeling like this, but I obviously can't defend myself against this thing. 

"W-what do you w-want from m-me?" I tried to hide the fear quivering in my tone, but his grin only grew wider, I didn't even think was possible. He was delighted by it. 

"Do you want to talk like civilized people, or do you want to kick me in the chest again? I am warning you, I don't much like giving s̠҉͍͊ͅẹ̿͋̒̕c͕͗ͤ̕̕o̯̱̊͊͢ṇ̤͛̒̍ḑ̴̞͛̒ c͕͗ͤ̕̕ḣ̖̻͛̓ā̤̓̍͘ṇ̤͛̒̍c͕͗ͤ̕̕ẹ̿͋̒̕s̠҉͍͊ͅ." His eyes turned to red dials and the room around me flickered. The best decision in this situation is to keep my mouth shut. 

I slowly nodded and he took his hands away from the sides of my head. "Well good! I didn't want to kill you now." He looked at my eyes as I tried to hide my fear from his last comment. He gestured to the couches and I decided to comply with this--this thing. I sat down and placed myself in the defense position. Arms crossed and my keys gripped in my hand. It was a lousy weapon, but the only thing I had. 

He flared his coattails out and eyed my keys before sitting down on the old couch across from me. Dust rose from it as he sat down. "Now let me answer your last question, as I'm not one to ignore a lady's requests." He tilted his head to the side, examining me. I tried not to squirm under his gaze.

He then took a deep breath and continued. "My name is Alastor, and I am an overlord from Hell." He stopped his explanation as if he was waiting for me to absorb his response. He was from Hell? "How di-". "Let me explain before you ask questions my dear." He interrupted, not much of a gentleman I guess. 

He then continued, "I have been looking for someone like you for quite a long time. I never did think I would be the one to find you." He paused to look at me and then resumed his explanation, "You have powers beyond your imagination, and you are among one of the most powerful beings. In this dimension...and the next."