𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

Y/N POV

Ena kept coaxing me to go higher and higher into the air. I was grateful she was pushing me to try harder, but flapping these huge wings became extremely tiring. I had just reached out to grab her hand when I felt my wings start to buckle. 

I had never liked the feeling of falling from a large height, but that was always in a dream or on a rollercoaster. This time, it was real, and I couldn't save myself from it.

 I screamed, trying to keep my wings from dragging me down, but they stopped me from getting in the right position to land. I covered my neck while preparing to hit the ground really hard. I really hoped that I wouldn't break any bones.

But the ground had never come. I felt arms surround my body and found myself staring into Alastor's eyes. "Thank you, Alastor," I said breathlessly. My heart still hadn't calmed itself from the fall... or was it something else? He continued to stare into my eyes as he held me. 

I could feel my wings brushing the ground around us. I didn't really know what to do in this situation. He was too tall to easily jump out of his arms and hit the ground. He shook his head and finally replied to me. "Of course, I'm just glad you didn't hurt yourself."

He gently helped me out of his arms. He felt my wings to make sure that nothing was broken. "Your wings seem to be okay, but are you alright?" 

"Yeah, I think I'm fine. My back just hurts a little from the wings."

"Yes, I think we should be done for the day, seeing as you are tired. But since you are not tired mentally, we can work on some of your actual powers."

-------------- 4 hrs later--------------

It seems that Alastor had planned on wearing me out, physically and mentally, during my training. He continued to cook me food but always had me working on certain powers. I could now turn into a shadow and shift through solid objects, I could teleport as Alastor did, and I could open portals to hell knows where. 

He told me that I was progressing much faster than he thought I would have, which is always a good thing. I was just exhausted. I told myself that I could have the rest of the day to myself, so I went to my room.

I summoned my wings again to look at them in my bathroom mirror. I could not open both simultaneously, and I had to scrunch my other wing to fit into the bathroom due to their size. I admired the black, silky feathers. I still couldn't believe that this was actually happening.

I had wings! I had the biggest smile on my face. One of my biggest dreams had come true. I hesitated. This was both me and my sister's dream. We had always wanted to fly through the air, together. I shook my head. 

Remembering what my therapist taught me, I recited my verse. "This should be a happy thought. I'm not going to be saddened by it. They might be gone, but the good memories are still with me." I looked at myself in the mirror, taking deep breathes. 

I pulled my h/c hair up into a ponytail, trying to get it out of my face. I was determined to get my mind off of my memories. I got rid of my wings and headed to the library. The library's bay window provided a beautiful view of the backyard. Time to paint!

My mother had taught me when I was a little girl. I always dreaded painting lessons, but I appreciated them now. I sat at the canvas, getting my paints all set up. My mind always got lost when I painted. It created new worlds and new ideas. This took my mind off of the present. 

I hadn't realized that I had been painting for hours until I looked at the clock. I saw Al standing at the doorway to the library.

"Oh, you scared me! How long have you been standing there?"

"Not long at all." He walked over to admire the painting. "This is quite amazing my dear. Where did you learn this skill?"

"My mother taught me when I was a little girl." I could've continued but I didn't want the conversation to continue this way. I hoped he had gotten a hint.

"Ah, I see. I was walking around your house today and saw that television. I tried turning it on but I only use the ones created during my time in Hell." He chuckled

"Well, I could see why you couldn't turn it on." I laughed, "Let me show you how it works." I got up to head to the TV room.

I showed him the remote. "You press this button, and use these arrows to choose what show you want. Then you use this button to increase or decrease the volume."

"Amazing. But what should I watch?"

I sat down and chose the safest option I could think of. Downton Abbey. "This is one of my favorite shows, it's pretty chill."

I sat down on the couch to start watching and he joined me. We started watching the show together and it was very hard to keep from laughing at him. He would comment on the stupidity of some of the characters, or he would suggest killing certain characters so they wouldn't be a problem. I don't think he realized he was doing it either.

The last time I remember looking at the clock it was 1 am. I fell into a deep sleep, exhausted from today.

-------------- undetermined amount of time later --------------

I woke up to a dark room. For just a second, I couldn't remember where I was. I suddenly remember that I had been watching a show with Al. "Where was he?" I thought to myself. I turned around, trying to get my eyes adjusted to the room. I turned around and saw Alastor's rage form. 

I stumbled off the couch, trying to get into a position to defend myself. I touched my arm, feeling sore from falling, and found it wet. Had he bitten me?! I looked back and the room started to glitch around me. 

"AL!! What are you doing?!" My eyes finally had started adjusting to the dark. He stalked closer to me, his head cocked to one side. His eyes were full of bloodlust. I remembered back to that night with Jared, the first night he had hurt me. I was not going to go down without a fight this time.

"AL STOP!" I yelled. He dragged his jagged hands across the couch, ripping the fabric. I swung a fist at him, but he grabbed my hand, dragged his nails down my arm, and shoved me to the ground. I looked up at him. He was licking my blood off of his fingers. 

Ena's voice whispered in my mind, "We can't fight against him, we are not strong enough. Don't waste your strength." I scooted back as far away from him as I could, clutching my bleeding arm. I started strategizing in my head. 

I can't fling my wings out, he will just tear them. He will no doubt following me if I try and teleport. Then the last option hit my mind, "the portal," I breathed. I focused to try and create one big enough to carry me through. 

The last thing I felt was his claws, raking down my face.