Chapter 5: Shopping

Royce scanned the list that the head chef had given him. He stood beside Ashera under a very sunny weather. The day was just like any other day. The adults were working, the children were playing with their peers and the inn and tavern flourished like usual.

"Are you ready?" Royce asked Ashera.

Ashera nods. "Yep."

It was time to restock on some ingredients, so Royce volunteered to go shopping along with Ashera. He glanced at Ashera and back to the list. "Are you sure you'll be fine. If you need to rest, just rest."

"I'll be fine. I can't just sit around all day, I have to exercise too."

"...I'm not letting you carry anything heavy. No matter how much you want to help, no means no."

Ashera pouts.

Royce sighs. "You're not troubling us. I want you to know that. You're pregnant, so we understand. Focus on Lucius."

Ashera smiles weakly. "You're right...Thank you..."

Royce lets out an amused huff, though he didn't smile. "Look, even Lucius agrees with me."

Ashera's mouth hangs open. "H-How did you know?"

Royce raises a brow at her. "I can sense it." He said as he walked off to the market.

"H-Hey!" Ashera follows shortly. The two arrive at the market area and began to move from stall to stall. Royce carried a basket full of meat and vegetables. While Ashera was holding the list and naming the things they needed to buy.

"Royce, is this your wife?"

An elderly woman asked. She was working on a vegetable stall. There was a happy smile on the woman's face as Ashera turned slightly red. "N-No ma'am."

"Nosy as ever." Royce comments, picking up a carrot to inspect it.

"Haha, you are very beautiful miss."

"T-Thank you..."

The old lady laughs fondly. She looked over at Royce and beckoned him to come closer so "Royce, you're really going to let this one go? I think she's the first woman to not run away at the sight of your scary face. You raised Jill, so she doesn't count."

Royce looks into the old woman's eyes. "Are you going to let this conversation go?"

The old lady shakes her head.

Royce was well-loved in the village, but the man did not have a lover. Some women feared him, some women did not like his attitude, some did not like his cold demeanor and some were rejected. Royce sighs and buy the carrots. He walks away to another stall.

"What did she say?" Ashera asked, curious.

"Nonsense."

"Oh, okay."

As they continue shopping, a familiar smell reached Ashera's nose. She looked around in search of the source and found a stall serving snacks. Fresh cookies. She paused, looking at the stall. Royce noticed this and stood beside her, following her gaze. "Do you want some?"

"Oh, uh..."

"Let's go buy some then."

"W-Wait! I'll buy it."

"Huh? I don't mind buying it for you." Royce said, walking over to the cookies.

Ashera follows quickly. "You don't have to boss. I'll pay with my own money."

Royce shakes his head. "Save that."

Royce purchased three cookies and gave it to Ashera. Ashera gratefully receives the cookies. "Thank you, boss..."

"Don't feel troubled."

"Yes..."

"Go ahead and eat. We're not in a rush."

"Okay..."

Ashera couldn't help but feel a bit embarrassed that her boss had to deal with her pregnancy craving. But even so, she couldn't waste the boss's kindness. I will eat!

"..." Royce's eyes widen slightly when Ashera devoured a whole cookie like it was nothing. The elf was in pure bliss when she chewed on that cookie. Not even 3 seconds have passed and she already ate the second cookie, then the third. Royce stood frozen.

"Delicious! Thank you so much for the snacks boss!"

"...Do you want more?"

"Oh no, I couldn't possibly ask for more!"

"...You seem like you want more."

"Oh not at all. Ugh!"

"..."

Ashera covered her mouth. "...I'll buy them myself this time."

Royce blocks her and buys the cookies himself.

This time it was more than three.

After a few minutes of snacking on dozens of cookies, they returned to their shopping expedition. It ended with a satisfied Ashera and Royce.

~~~~~~~~

And also a happy bun! Cookies!! Thank you for reading guys! See you on the next chapter~