Chapter 18: Signs

Note: This is a triple update so go to chapter 17 and read that first! I'll delete this after a few days!

~~~~~~~

"Thank you for choosing Red Leaf Inn, enjoy your stay!" Ashera politely bows to their new guests, a group of travelers. They thank Ashera, take their keys and walk up to the second floor to settle in.

It's been a week ever since Lily came and told Ashera that she wouldn't take Lucius away. To this day, a part of Ashera still couldn't believe that Lily let them go. It was hard to swallow at first, she had fully expected for Lily to side with the prince one hundred percent and take them. Ashera was happy that Lily's love for the prince wasn't her character.

She was happy that Lily's love for the prince wasn't her whole personality, that she was more than just a heroine destined to fall in love. She's an elf with a belief, she will firmly stand for that and choose to do what she believed was right.

Moving forward,

As Ashera continued to talk to the guest and welcome them, Jill was sweeping the floor and tidying up. She looked at Ashera curiously and grinned. She hops over to Ashera after seeing her finish welcoming guests.

"Ash, can I ask you something?"

"Hm? What is it, Jill?"

"Did you...Are you and boss finally together?"

"J-Jill!?" Ashera's entire face blossoms into bright red, steam rising out of the top of her head. "W-Why would you say that? Of course not! We're just employer and employee-"

Jill giggles, "Oh but Ash, do not dare think that I haven't noticed boss coming into your room for the past week every night."

If possible, Ashera would like to swan dive into the bed at this very moment and scream. "Jill, it's not what you're thinking. Lucius can't fall asleep without him. He leaves right after Lucius falls asleep and nothing more."

"Is that so?" Jill smirks, resting her chin on top of the broomstick. Ashera covers her face, unable to handle the expression Jill was making. "Please believe me."

"Hm..." Jill frowns. "Ash, do you really not notice it?"

"..." Ashera uncovers her face to meet Jill's serious gaze. "Notice what?"

"The boss."

"I notice him? I acknowledge his existence." Ashera answers, unsure of what Jill wants.

"No, no. I mean his feelings for you."

"..."

"..."

"...Ash?"

"..." Ashera swallows a nervous lump in her throat and takes a deep breath. Royce just hasn't been helping Lucius fall asleep, but...

Five days ago...

Ashera finished up for the night and closed the front desk. Royce suddenly appeared with a sleeping Lucius in his arms. He silently approaches Ashera and drops a bag of cookies on the desk and leaves just as quietly.

"..."

Four days ago...

"Ashera." Royce called.

Ashera and Royce were on their weekly supply run at the market. Ashera turns to Royce, tilting her head. Royce beckons her to come to where he was, which was an area of the market Ashera rarely frequents. Royce clears his throat and taps his foot.

Ashera noticed that Royce was having difficulty saying something.

"You...um..."

"I?"