Chapter 20: This Is My Family

My name is Lucius and I am four years old!

I have a big family!

I don't remember much, but I super know for sure that there's always this warm feeling about my family! The last thing I can remember was my mom singing a happy song to me. She said it was called a birthday song!

Oh I want to talk more about my family!

My mama is the best mama! She's kind, caring and has a really beautiful voice! I love it when she sings songs to me! She gives the warmest hugs and kisses.

Then my papa! He is funny! Bad voice, but funny! He is strong and he is always there for mama, Big sis Jill and me! Papa even helps me fly in the sky! And when mama isn't looking, papa gives me sweets! He's the best! And he always teaches me new things!

Yesterday, I learned how to make a fire!

(Mama doesn't know!)

Now for my big sis Jill!

She's always happy and plays with me! She is the best big sister ever! She teaches me a lot of games to play and helps me make friends with other kids in the village! Oh, and there's this grandpa and weird big brother who comes by, but not all the time.

Big brother always looks like he is going to cry when he is with Big sis Jill.

Is Big sis Jill being mean? No way! Big sis Jill is super nice!

And villagers are also my family! They always help me and play with me!

This is my big family!

~~~

A year passed and Lucius' curiosity grew. He's always been a curious little thing, but wasn't active in his curiosity. Now, he's much more forward in asking questions and investigating things on his own. Too curious that Ashera had mixed feelings about it. She was proud that her son is taking an interest in things, willing to learn about different things and process these new different things.

However, it wouldn't be long until...

One night as they were closing up, Ashera was cleaning the tables while Royce was sweeping the floor. Jill was inside the kitchen helping the chef organize the ingredients for tomorrow. Lucius was seated on one of the tables and swayed his legs.

He was unusually quiet and kept staring at his father.

"Is something on my face, little man?" Royce asks, approaching Lucius.

Ashera stops wiping the table to look at the pair she loves.

Lucius shakes his head and replies, "Papa, your ears."

"My ears?" Royce tilts his head. Lucius then looks over to his mother.

"Mama, why does papa have different ears than us?"

"Papa?"

His mother and father exchanged glances and Ashera put the cloth away. She knelt down in front of Lucius with pursed lips. Lucius could sense her hesitantance and didn't like the fact that he could sense some sort of negative and fearful emotion from his mother. He didn't like it when she felt this way.

"Lucius, your papa..."

"You really want to tell him now?" Royce asks.

"Maybe it's best if we tell him early...to let him slowly ease into it..." Ashera says, "Even if he doesn't come to understand now..."

Ashera admits the truth to her son. That Royce wasn't exactly his real father by blood. The child blinked in confusion, but at least formulated his own conclusion. He doesn't completely understand, but he looks up at Royce and realized,