Chapter 8: The Light Likes to Sit on Darkness' Lap

A few months later...

"..."

Royce stared at the little one of his lap. The child was making a funny face at Royce, most likely enjoying his new spot to rest on, and that was Royce's lap. Royce really wondered and pondered over it. What is it you may ask?

Why does this child like me so much?

It was strange.

He barely spends time with the child because of his work, but the child is attached to him like a leech. He wondered what he could have done to earn such affection from the little elf who was playing with his fingers.

"...I'm not food."

The toddler giggles and bites Royce's hand.

Royce was sure he didn't smell like food.

He checked multiple times. Also, didn't Ash buy toys for him to play with and safely chew on? Why him!?

They were currently in Royce's office. The toddler was left in his office because Ash and Jill had to run some errands outside the Inn and the only one left who wasn't currently busy somehow was Royce. So here they were, in his office on the sofa.

"Why do you like me so much? Your mother keeps telling me you like me, but not so much the reason."

"Baa...baa...wah!"

Royce blinked at him.

"Truly understandable."

The toddler frowned and puffed out his cheeks, then bit Royce's hand more harshly, but Royce didn't feel a thing. The elven child was weak and the only thing Royce could feel was the child's slobber. "Then can you show me in actions?"

The toddler tilted his head at him.

Royce sighs. Other children found Royce scary, even adults. But how come this toddler did not find him the least bit intimidating? He even bites on Royce with no fear or shame whatsoever. Adult men cry in fear at the sight of Royce, and this child treats Royce as if he was a chew toy.

Royce thought about it and Lucius as well.

"...I respect that."

"Baa?"

"Brave little soul. You're sitting on Darkness' lap yet you are fearless."

"Buu...?"

Royce looked Lucius in the eye. "If your mother knew what I was, I wonder if I'll be able to see you again, actually, I believe your mother would never set foot into this humble inn."

"...Mama?"

"That's right. Your mother."

Lucius blinks. "Pa...pa?"

"...Where did you learn that word?" Royce sighs, being completely ignored at what he just stated a few moments ago. No, seriously though, where did Lucius learn such a word? "Lucius, I'm not your father."

"Hehe, Papa!"

"Where did you hear that from?"

"Papa!"

"Not me, Lucius. Who taught you Papa?"

"Ji...Ji! Ji!"

Jill, that brat.

Royce leans back on the sofa and shook his head dismissively. Jill could be a brat sometimes, but Royce was impressed at the fact Jill did not fear him as well, which made him grow a fondness for the young teen and gave her the job in the first place. "Lucius, I'm not your father."