Chapter 21: Two Pasts

Lily quietly hung a line of clothing just outside the palace. The cool wind touches her skin, effectively causing her shoulders to loosen and relax. Lily looked at the sky and smiled softly. After so much time passed, things have been calm, but...

Lily frowns as she is reminded of her prince's current status.

"It's been four years..." Eldrin says quietly.

Lily whipped her head around to see the prince's closest friend and next in line to become the head of the Elven Guards. The elf with dark hair and teal colored eyes. He looked at Lily with an exhausted yet peaceful gaze.

"And he still hasn't given up." Eldrin sighs. "Our fellow elves have looked at him like he's gone insane..."

"..." Lily remains silent, "He's getting better though...Our kingdom is going back to its former state. Things will get better..."

Eldrin smiles, "You've been helping him a lot and for that, I...I thank you."

"It's nothing..." Lily bows her head, a shade of red appearing on her cheeks.

"No, it's not nothing...Don't devalue yourself...You're...caring, kind and strong. You're someone who I-We...we can all lean on." Eldrin coughs and his eyes gaze at the laundry instead. "The prince is lucky to have you."

Lily shakes her head, "It's the other way around."

"No, definitely not..." Eldrin whispers. "Anyways, after the Dark Elves' attack four years ago, it really opened our prince's eyes."

"Thanks to the intel, we were prepared to deal with the consequences of our poor defenses. So it was expected for the dark elves to attack..."

I wonder if they're okay...Lily thought and stared at the sky again.

"I honestly don't want to go through something like that again."

"Nobody does."

"Lily, why...is Ruven so obsessed with finding Ashera?"

"..." Lily remains silent for a few seconds before answering, "Perhaps...maybe he sensed something..."

"Sensed something? Emotionally?"

"...I don't know."

"That wouldn't happen unless Ruven and Lady Ashera..." Eldrin gasped, "Wait...This obsession or need to find her...Isn't this..."

"What?"

"Is this why Ruven has been so angry that night four years ago?" Eldrin asks, he looked like revelation had truly dawned on him. Lily tilts her head in confusion, but deep down, she knew why Ruven was enraged that night. That night, four years ago...

~~~

Four years ago...

Lily looked at the night sky and smiled. She held herself back from visiting Lady Ashera and her family. After that tearful night for the two of them, Lily wanted to get to know Ashera more and become her friend.

But she had to protect them.

She refrained herself from making any form of contact with Ashera, she will not let the prince discover her no matter what. Even if it meant hurting the prince or disobeying the prince. She didn't have it in herself to put a mother and child through pain.

She was walking through the halls, carrying a few books to deliver to the grand library.

In order to get to the library, she had to pass by the prince's quarters.