Chapter 9: Patrol

"Wah!"

"Aren't you adorable." Ashera giggles at Lucius.

The little toddler giggles back, reaching out to Ashera from the bed. Lucius is too adorable, Ashera thought in her heart and mind. Lucius had actually taken after Ashera quite a lot, which was a surprise. Lucius had Ashera's blonde hair and emerald eyes, though a bit darker. Ashera wonders what Lucius will look like when's older, but it will never change the fact that she will love him with all her heart.

The two had just woken up and Ashera just finished changing.

"Let's change your clothes little sun."

"Maa..."

Ashera chuckles and changes little Lucius' clothes. After putting him in a comfortable onesie she sewed herself, she left her room carrying Lucius. As she was walking towards the stairs, the door to Royce's office opens.

"Papa!" Lucius' face brightens up at the sight of the tall man with crimson eyes and raven black hair.

Royce didn't say anything and just opened his arms.

"You're not busy, boss?"

Ashera asks, naturally giving Lucius to Royce. Royce gives a low hum and lets the child clutch onto his clothes. "I can work while taking care of him. It's just paperwork anyways."

"Okay, but please come to me-"

"If it gets too much, I know. I'll hand the little one over to you."

"And-"

"Naptime, I know."

"...Hehe."

"What's so funny?"

"You really know how to take care of Lucius now. It feels like yesterday when you didn't know how to deal with him."

"Quiet you." With a blank face, Royce walks back inside his office.

"...Eh?" Why did Royce come out of his office in the first place? Did the man sense them coming? The way he just walked out normally with an expectant look and just opening his arms. Ashera sighs, but a smile appears on her face. Royce truly is a mysterious man.

And with that, Ashera went downstairs to work.

Meanwhile...

A little commotion was happening in their little village. A group of elves in armor had suddenly appeared and lurked around. They were silent and just quietly observed the townspeople. They were the search party sent by the prince to find Ashera.

They wouldn't dare to ask questions about Ashera's whereabouts, just in case word spreads around and Ashera escapes. So before they were going to ask any questions, they just observed their surroundings first to find any sign of an elf. The townspeople were curious, but they couldn't tell that they were elves because they were covered in cloaks.

Jill passes by them as she carrying a box of ingredients. "I wonder what they're looking for..."

Out of curiosity, she got a little closer and got to see one of their faces. She notices the sharp ears and whispered. "Elves..."

Jill minds her own business and returns to the inn.

"Welcome back, Jill."

"Hey Ash!" Jill quickly delivers the ingredients to the kitchen and returned to Ashera's side.

"Hey guess what's happening at town?" Jill smiles.

"Oh? Is there a celebration going on?" Ashera guesses.

"Nope, I saw a group of elves!"

"...W-What?" Ashera's bright expression suddenly changed. Jill's face turned into concern as she Ashera's own expression fall apart. There was terror in her eyes and her hands began to tremble. "W-What were they doing?"

"Ash? Is something wrong?"

"Jill, please tell me what they were doing?"

"Um...I don't know. They were wearing cloaks and they seemed to be looking for something."

"... Jill I'm sorry. I have to go."

Ashera dashes out of her work spot and ran up the stairs, startling a few customers.

Ashera walks in Royce's office, her eyes immediately spotting Lucius on the sofa, playing with his toys. She was so focused on Lucius that she couldn't process Royce's question as to why she suddenly barged into his office. Ashera scoops Lucius into her arms and ran out the office, heading for her room.

Out of fear and worry, she had already prepared a bag for them in past just in case they had to run. Ashera quickly pulls that bag out of the bottom of her bed and just when she turned around, Royce was blocking her door.

"What's going on?"

"B-Boss..."

"Hm?" Royce looks at the bag Ashera was carrying momentarily before looking back at Ashera. "Why are you so scared and anxious?"

"..."

"Look, you're scaring and worrying Lucius."

Royce was right, Lucius did look scared and worried. He was holding tightly onto his mother and shaking his little fist as if to ask what was wrong. Ashera looks at Lucius guiltily, but quickly forced a smile on her face. She couldn't let this affect Lucius, it was going to be difficult, but she had to minimize whatever damage this was going to inflict on Lucius' mind and heart.

"Does it have something to do with those elves outside?"

Ashera froze. How did Royce...?

"Ash, as your boss, I will protect you." Royce said firmly, not single change on his serious expression. "As Lucius' father figure, I won't let any harm befall the child."

"Boss..."

"Tell me the tru-"

"Boss! Some people want to talk to you downstairs! They said they're looking for someone!"

"..."

Jill had called from below. It was them, it couldn't be anyone else but the elves. Royce watches Ashera tremble and he could Ashera was itching to run and never turn back, but there was hesitation. It was because of the elves downstairs.

"Ash, who are they?"

"Boss, if they find me, they're going to take Lucius away!"

"Mama?" Lucius calls.

"It's okay, Lucius. Everything will be okay." Ashera reassures him, rocking him in her arms gently. "Mama's here for you."

Royce didn't fully understand why, but his heart ached watching the mother and son pair in such a state all of the sudden. His fist clenched for a moment before relaxing and approaching the two closer. Ashera looked up to him in confusion.

Royce reaches out his hand and places it gently on top of Ashera's head.

"I won't let them take you away."

And before Ashera knew it, her hair had suddenly changed colors, switching to a light brown.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello readers!

Running Away with the Elf Prince's Baby has returned! Yay! I'm back and I'm ready to write it! I would like to apologize for my very late update and to all of you waiting for this book. I'll be honest and say I got busy with another story and as well as encountering many circumstances IRL and I couldn't get the chance to write this story. I would like to reassure everyone that I am not abandoning this story and everything has already been planned from start to finish.

Things have been looking up and I have more time to write nowadays.

Once again, I apologize and I thank everyone who takes the time to read this story of mine.

I would like to thank everyone for their patience with me and this book, and for all the support, comments, votes and views! I love you guys and I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

I'll see all of you in the next chapter~