Toby and The Trolls

Jim sat on the rock in his backyard, watching as the blue sky turned an orange-pink. It had been a good day. He had scored the part of Romeo and gotten Claire's attention in the process. Everything was going as he planned.

Strickler and his mom were inside on their first date, they had asked if he wanted to join but Jim respectfully denied.

Jim relished in the quiet breeze, the birds chirped, and he could hear his mom and Strickler laughing about who knows what inside. He didn't regret going back in time and bearing this heavy burden. It was for the greater good, to save his friends and to save Toby. It would just take some time getting used to.

Yes, he was still the Trollhunter but he didn't need the amulet of Daylight to prove that to himself. Toby did though. Jim would be the moral support this time around. He was going to do things right. No more death.

"Jimbo! Jim! Oh my god!" Toby exclaimed, running into his friend's backyard, grabbing and shaking Jim's shoulders fervently. Jim smiled on the inside, he had a feeling he knew what Toby was freaking out about.

"What is it, Tobes?" Jim asked.

"You'll never guess what I found at the canals!" Toby said, pulling his backpack in front of him and opening up. "And you'll never guess what happened after!"

"What did you find? What happened after?"

"Well after school I biked down the canals as you suggested and I found this huge pile of rubble and this!" Toby proclaimed, pulling out the amulet of Daylight. "What was even crazier is that it called my name! But that's not even the craziest part!"

"Really?" Jim asked.

"Yeah! After I picked up this clock thing---"

"I'm pretty sure it's an amulet," Jim noted.

"Amulet, whatever, two things made of rock, they said they were trolls, approached me! They said that I was meant to be the next Trollfighter or something I wasn't really listening to what they were saying because I passed out."

Jim inwardly chuckled at his friend babbling.

"Wow, sounds like some crazy day!" Jim smiled.
"Jim, you have to believe me! I promise I'm not lying!" Toby blurted, shaking Jim's shoulders again.

"Easy there, Tobes, I believe you," Jim said, grabbing his friend's shoulders and held him at a distance.

"You do? I honestly thought it would take more convincing!" Toby said, raising an eyebrow. Jim shook his head and smiled. A twig snapped in the forest and Jim's head snapped to the loud noise. Years of fighting and training would do that to you.

The twig didn't snap for no reason, however, in fact, two familiar trolls poked their heads over Jim's fence.

"Master Tobias!" Blinky called out, waving all four of his hands. Jim didn't really know how he should react, technically he shouldn't know about trolls, so he should be scared of these unknown creatures. But he was never a good liar.

"Umm, so, is that one of the trolls?" Jim asked, looking over to his best friend. Toby turned to his friend, aghast.

"That's how you react? You're not going to scream at the unknown creatures behind your fence?" Toby asked. Jim chuckled nervously.

"Do you want me to scream? I mean, I'd rather not because I don't want to alert or disturb my mom and her date," Jim lied, well it was partly true. Toby's jaw dropped.

"You're not screaming because you don't want to ruin your mom's date? Geez Jimbo you need to get your priorities in order!" Toby exclaimed, Jim, shrugged helplessly.

"Master Tobias, you told your skinny friend of our existence?" Blinky asked, looking disapprovingly at Toby. Ouch Blinky, he wasn't that skinny. Was he?

"I tell my best friend everything!" Toby defended.

"Never the matter, Master Tobias, we must train you for your upcoming fight with Bular!" Blinky ordered.

"Train? Fight?" Toby parroted.

"Fight Bular," Aaarrrgghh said.

"Who said anything about fighting? I certainly didn't!" Toby asked.

"We shall explain everything in detail on our way to Trollmarket! Come this way!" Blinky ordered, disappearing behind the fence. Toby looked at Jim helplessly.

"Aren't you going to follow them?" Jim asked.

"Only if you go with me," Toby responded. Jim smiled.

"Whatever happens, I'm your moral support. Now let's go, Tobes!" Jim called out, running and easily jumping over the fence. Jim stood up to come face to face with Blinky.

"If you are to come with us I best know your name," Blinky grumbled. "I guess the new Trollhunter will need a human ally."

"I'm Jim Lake Jr," Jim said, holding his hand out, Blinky tilted his head and grabbed and shook the boy's hand. Images suddenly danced through Blinky's mind, but they were too fast to make out. The odd sense of familiarity and warmth came from the boy. How odd.

"I am known as Blinky, a pleasure to make you acquaintance," Blinky smiled.

"Names Aaarrrgghh, three r's," Aaarrrgghh said, holding up three fingers. Jim nodded.

"Three r's got it."

"Uhh, Jimbo? A little help?" Toby asked. Jim turned around to see his friend half over the fence and clearly struggling. Jim briskly walked over to Toby and began helping him get over the fence.

"I fear we have our work cut out for us," Blinky said, observing the situation.

"Jim nice," Aaarrrgghh noted.

"Indeed. He doesn't seem afraid of us at all!" Blinky added on.

"Something familiar, but never met him before," Aaarrrgghh stated.

"I agree with you, old friend. There might be more to this boy than what is on the surface. Nevertheless, let's focus on Master Tobias's training before addressing the mystery that is Jim Lake."

___________________________

To say the least, Merlin didn't mind his elongated slumber. He would arise when the next Trollhunter, Jim Lake Jr needed him. It was how it will go. Sure, seeing the future is vague so who knows how old Jim will really be when it happens.

But something wasn't right. He was awoken. How? Looking around his tomb, it was empty, this was not how things should go. The Trollhunter was supposed to awaken him. Merlin's hand touched cold metal and he picked up the offending item.

It was an amulet, similar to the amulet of Daylight, but it was different somehow.

"For the good of all? Daylight is mine to command? What is this mockery?" Merlin asked no one in particular.

Merlin allowed his magic to swell and soon he found what made everything wrong. This was the amulet of daylight, just very very different. This amulet had a past, more than it should right now. It had a past of a future. A future no longer.

"James Lake Jr, you are in so much trouble when I get to you!" Merlin exclaimed. "How dare that boy meddle with time! Again! Looks like I shall be leaving this tomb earlier than scheduled," Merlin grumbled, cracking his back. "Now, I shall get my staff. Then I will be on my way to James and he better have a good explanation for this."