chapter 3 - if you're out there, I hope that ur ok

It had been two months since Nini moved to New York. She was now the Assistant Editor for the online publication at Figment Magazine, and she had her best friend Kourtney to thank. She really loved the city, something was always happening, and there was so many things to explore. She loved that she was taking risks, and actually living her dream. She was currently in her office going through their poetry section for the next issue of the mag, when Kourtney walked in. 

"Hey, Kourt what's up?" Nini chirped excitedly, her best friend was always up to something. 

"Do you have plans tonight?" Kourtney didn't wait for an answer. "We're going on a double date tonight." 

"What? With who?" Nini was definitely not ready for a date, considering that there's a Ricky shaped hole in her heart. "I'm don't think I'm-"

"Ready?" Kourtney cut in. "You'll never be ready if you keep pining for Bowen... I mean you haven't even changed your lock screen, Neens." 

Nini looked at her phone screen longingly. It was a picture of them from many years ago on the night they said their first I love yous. 

(flashback)

He had taken her out to dinner and then they'd gone to the South Physics Observatory at the University of Utah. They were in each other's arms just looking up at the stars. 

Nini whispered, "It's so beautiful, babe."

"Yeah. Beautiful."  Ricky said. 

When Nini turned her head, she noticed that Ricky was already looking at her, and the way he was gazing into her eyes made her heart want to jump out of her chest, and she realized she couldn't hold it in anymore. 

"I love you."  Nini moved to press their lips together, but Ricky stopped her with a finger on her lips. 

"I love you too, Neens. So much." 

He captured her lips with his own in a tender kiss. 

Nini snapped back to reality when Kourtney cleared her throat. 

"Look, if you won't do it for you. Will you at least do it for me?" Kourtney asked. "I really like this guy, but I already told him that you would keep his friend company." 

Nini sighed, guess it couldn't hurt. 

"Okay. I'm doing it. But only for you, and only this time."

Kourtney squealed and wrapped her in a hug.
_____

They ended up having dinner at a Japanese restaurant across the street from their building. Kourtney was animatedly chatting with her date, while Nini was awkwardly having a conversation about toners and printers with her non-date. EJ was a tall, good looking and seemed really smart. He worked at the budget department, and the budget for the print edition of Figment had apparently increased exponentially compared to last year. Now, this guys clearly didn't do his research, because Nini was in charge of the online stuff, she had nothing to do with the printers and toners. But EJ was clearly very passionate about the mathematical calculations, so she didn't have the heart to interrupt him. 

By the time he finished speaking, Kourtney and her date had excused themselves, and gone out for drinks and dessert. Leaving Nini alone with EJ. 

"... so do you think it would be possible to maybe go for the cheaper paper for the next issue? It really wouldn't be much of a difference, I have samples in the office I can send to you tomorrow." EJ rambled on about the difference between the weight and textures of paper that made a difference financially. [a/n: EJ is like a cute, awkward nerd in this fic] 

"Um.. EJ, I think you're asking the wrong person. I'm the assistant editor for the online issue. I know absolutely nothing about paper." she said with an awkward smile. 

EJ blushed and placed his head on his hands. 

"Oh... my goodness. I've talked for 15 minutes about paper and toner and ink. I'm sorry. I'm just really bad at this dating thing." 

Nini couldn't help but feel bad for the guy. "It's okay, don't worry about it. It was an honest mistake. Plus.. I got to learn lots about paper."

EJ chuckled, "I'm just so awkward you know. I'm good with the numbers, but people are just so unpredictable.. Can I be honest with you?" 

"Yeah." 

"I'm only here because Kourtney asked me." 

"Well that makes two of us then. I told Kourt I wasn't ready for a date.. I just got out of a really long relationship, and I'm not looking for another one." Nini was going to have some conversations with her friend. 

"Must be a special guy." 

"He is.." Nini found herself thinking about Ricky for the second time that day, and quickly changed the subject. "What about you though? Can't imagine you have a lot of trouble with the ladies?" 

"I think we've established that I am a mumbling, rambling mess with the ladies." 

Afterwards they spent some time talking and getting to know each other, and Nini actually had a great time. But they both agreed that they would be better off as friends. In fact, Nini promised she would help him get a real date to make up for this one.
____ 

"So, how was your date last night?" Kourtney asked. 

"It wasn't a date, and we agreed to be friends. Also, I promised I'd find him a date, so now you need to help me." Nini said. 

"Nini, don't take this the wrong way, but don't you want to move on?" 

"No, actually I don't." Nini said calmly. "It sounds stupid, but I don't wanna love somebody else. Ricky's it for me. Even if we don't end up together, I'm never gonna love someone else, Kourt. I'd rather be single forever than be with someone who's not Ricky." 

"Neeners, he hurt you real bad, and I just don't want you to be waiting for someone who's not worth it." 

"I know, Kourt. And what he did was wrong, but he only reacted that way because he was hurting too. Besides, I've forgiven him a long time ago. So can we please let this go?" 

"Okay, but you know I'm just looking out for you, right?" 

"Of course. And I love you for that."
_____ 

Later that night, as Nini was lying in bed, she found herself thinking about the brown-eyed boy she'd left in Salt Lake. She kept tabs on him every once in a while through Big Red. But she wished she was in his arms, and they would have one of those talks that would go on for hours until they both fell asleep. She missed him more than anything, but she wasn't ready to face him. She just hoped that wherever he was right now, that he was okay.