chapter 28 - it'll be okay with you by my side

[a/n : thanks for those of you still reading this . I don't have the heart to keep rini in limbo for too long, so here you go..] 

Ricky tapped his foot to the sound of the beat, his favorite song was playing at the club tonight. He'd just spent the last half hour dancing with Nini, and she was grabbing a drink at the bar. Ricky sipped on his gin and tonic while waiting for her to come back. Suddenly he heard her scream for him. 

"Ricky!" 

"Baby, where are you?! Nini ?? I'm coming!" But his voice was drowned out by the crowd. 

"Ricky where are you?" She screamed again. "Help me. Ricky, please! He's gonna get me!" 

Ricky was running now, frantically looking for her among the sea of people. Her voice sounded further and further. He kept running but somehow there were more people and he didn't know where she was, she just kept calling his name. He stopped dead in his tracks when he heard his voice. 

"You're too late." He said laughing like a maniac. Nini's face flashed before his eyes, his hands around her neck, choking her.

"No!" Ricky woke up covered in cold sweat and his heart pounded against his chest. The sheets of his king sized hotel bed disheveled and tattered. He should have known he wouldn't be able to sleep well tonight. His heart was in a state of turmoil after the events of the night, he couldn't lose her over such a stupid argument. On top of that he was worried, he didn't like the idea of leaving her all alone in her apartment while that guy basically roamed around freely. He checked the time, it was 2 am. 

He had an idea. It's crazy and borderline creepy, but he would do a lot of things to keep her safe, and among all his other ideas, this one seemed less crazy in comparison. He grabbed his coat, took a pillow and a blanket and packed it in his bag. He's pretty sure he's not allowed to take those with him, but he didn't care at the moment.
_________

Ricky used his key that Nini gave him and entered the building. It's past 2 am, Nini was probably in bed. He wanted to give her the space and time she needed, but he couldn't live with himself if something happened to her. So he set up camp outside her door, and set an alarm for 5 am. It's December in NYC, it's so cold, no one's gonna wake up at 5. He would be gone before anyone noticed. Nobody's gonna know. How would they know ?

"They're gonna know." Red said the next morning when Ricky told him what was going on. 

"No they won't. I slipped out of there like a ninja. Nobody noticed. I'm telling you." 

"Ricky, I'm sure there are cameras in her building, and security whose job is to keep out people who sneak into the building in the dead of night doing God knows what." 

"If I get caught then I'll just show them that I have a key." Ricky said. 

"And when they ask you why you're sleeping in the hallway instead of inside the apartment like a normal person?" 

"I'll say my bed is too soft and the doctor said that sleeping on the floor is good for my back." 

"And you don't have floors in your apartment?" 

"Red... just go with it." Ricky said. "I'm just trying to protect her. Wouldn't you do the same?" 

"You know I would punch that guy in the face and go to jail for it if I have to... or go to the hospital, what with my scrawny arms and all." Red said. "I just don't know that this is the best way to do it." 

"I know... I just don't know what else to do." Ricky said. "I just miss her and I don't wanna lose her." 

"You won't. Come on. It's been the three of us since forever, Ricky. You and her are endgame." Red said and Ricky hoped it was true.
_________