chapter 43 - something in the summer wind

[a/n : sorry this one took a while. the writing's not that good and i kept redoing it]

"No"

Ricky's heart dropped. He knew there was a chance she would say no, since they'd just gotten back together, but it was still a surprise to hear it from her lips. He needed a minute to figure out what he was going to say to let her know that he still wanted to be with her and would wait for her.

He got up slowly, still in shock, he felt lightheaded. But then he heard sniffling and her small arms wrapping around his torso. She was crying and now he was confused... shouldn't he be the one to cry? She just rejected his proposal..

"Don't go." She leaned her cheek onto his back. "Please stay. I'm sorry. I'm just not ready, Ricky. Please don't leave me."

Oh. That's what this is about. Just from that one statement, Ricky could tell that she really was not ready. She was afraid he would leave her again. He couldn't blame her. That experience was traumatic for the both of them.

He turned around and she held him even tighter. He pulled her off him, because he needed her to look into his eyes when he says what he's about to say. She wasn't making it easy though, she really held on tight.

"Baby, look at me..." Ricky said, and his heart broke at the sight of her. He wiped her tears with his thumbs and put a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm not going anywhere, okay? I just needed a minute is all."

"I'm sorry. I just keep thinking the last time you proposed and then-"

He silenced her with his lips, and she kissed him back desperately, willing him to stay. As be tasted salt, he realized she was still crying. He broke the kiss and pulled her into a sitting position, so that she was sitting on his lap. He held her tight and entangled their fingers together.

"Nini," He said whispering into her ear. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm here to stay. I wanna be with you, okay? I'm done doing stupid things. I'm never letting you go again. Ever."

Nini turned slightly so her legs were on one side and buried her head in his chest, still clutching to his shirt and crying softly.

"I'm gonna wait for you to be ready. Telling you l that I couldn't marry you was the single most idiotic thing I've ever done." Ricky said kissing the top of her head. "The truth is I wanted to marry you. I still do. Those feelings never went away, it only took a few months of being with you for those feelings to resurface... I'll wait for you."

"What if you get tired of waiting?" Nini mumbled into his shirt.

"I won't."

"But-"

"I won't. I love you."

"I love you too, but-"

"No buts. Now let's stop the crying okay?" Ricky wiped her tears again and kissed her forehead. "If you come home like this, Bob is gonna hate me for a while."

That made her laugh. She always loved talking about her Labrador. Ricky smiled at the sound. Bob always became cold and distant towards Ricky, whenever he made Nini cry. Even if it's a good cry.

She didn't untangle herself from him until much later in the night, when their heartbeats were finally calm and beating to the same rhythm. Ricky would have to wait, but he didn't mind, she was worth waiting for. They were meant to be. He knew it.
_________

Ricky tries a few times, but it seems like Nini's
just not ready. He waited for a few months to propose again, he really tried to wait longer, but he really wanted this. The second time he proposed was over dinner on his birthday. She'd surprised him for the day as usual. A helicopter tour, all his favorite food, and a dinner cruise to end the night. He knew she felt really bad about saying no since it was his birthday, but Ricky assured her he understood and there's no reason to ruin the day.