chapter 20 - you're probably with that blonde girl who always made me doubt

[a/n : sorry this one took a while, i've just been really busy with work. It's not my best work, but i hope you still enjoy it.] 

It had been a week since she left Salt Lake, and work has been driving Nini off the walls. She had a lot on her plate, she spent the past week working non-stop, even at home, she was working. However, she still made time for Ricky and their FaceTime calls every other night, because she'd felt so bad every time she had to cancel. He was always making the effort, and always so understanding, but she knew he was disappointed on the inside. 

Her schedule was so packed that she hadn't really had time for herself in a while. Even weekends were filled with proofreading and revisions. Today was Monday, and it was literally the worst. Nini had forgotten that she needed to pitch some ideas for the next edition of Figment Mag, and she'd tried to come up with some things last minute, and her boss rejected every single one of her half-assed ideas. So now the pressure felt heavier on her shoulders. 

Sometime around 2 pm, EJ, Gina and Kourtney had come by to check on her and bring her lunch. She had been skipping many lunches and her friends were growing concerned. 

"Knock, knock?" Kourtney called out. "Kourt, EJ and Gina coming in to check if Nini's still alive."

"She's still alive." Nini answered flatly, not lifting her eyes from her laptop. Her friends had brought her miso salmon with rice, and a bottle of water. But she really didn't have time for a chat or a meal. Suddenly her laptop shut close, and EJ took it away from her, while Gina pushed the food towards Nini, and Kourt gently massaged her shoulders. Nini wanted to be mad at her friends, but she just couldn't, they were literally the nicest. 

"You need to chill a little, girl." Kourtney said. "We haven't seen you since you came back from Salt Lake." 

"You'll get your laptop back after you eat." EJ said. Nini nodded and opened the lunchbox. 

"Thank you guys. You're the best. For real." Nini said. "So, catch me up. What have I been missing? Also, nothing work-related, please." 

"Well." Gina started. "I have a performance coming up soon. I'd really like it if you came." 

"Of course, G. Wouldn't miss it for the world." Nini said smiling. Gina was a dancer at heart. She's an amazing dancer, and she's a part of this dance crew who had gigs here and there. She works in fashion, but she told Nini once that her dream is to build her own dance studio someday.    

"Oh thank the gods, because I already got you tickets, and you know I'm gonna need one of your pep talks."

"You don't need a pep talk, you're a force of nature G, you're gonna knock them dead." Nini said talking Gina's hand. "Also did you say tickets?"

"See, you're already giving me a pep talk, Neens." Gina said. "I got you an extra ticket, because it's at the beginning of next month, and I know Ricky's supposed to be here for his mentoring session." 

Nini smiled at the mention of Ricky's name. "Thank you. That's really thoughtful of you." 

"So how are you lovebirds?" Kourtney chimed in. 

"Yeah. How's Ricky? I hope I didn't make things awkward last time." EJ said. 

"Oh trust me. You did. But it's all good. We're good. Great." Nini said. "My surprise went really well, and then he kind of surprised me the next day." 

"You are so in love. It's kind of gross." Kourtney joked. "You guys are a hallmark movie." 

They spent the afternoon chatting and catching up with each other, before they all had to go back to work. Nini was grateful that she had the best friends ever. 
_________

Ricky grabbed his bag from the overhead compartment and got off the plane. He was in Chicago again to visit his mom. They'd made plans to meet for Thanksgiving but ever since Nini went back to New York, Ricky had been feeling off. It was a weird feeling, like he was homesick, but he was right at home in Salt Lake. So he decided to get his mind off things and take a little break by visiting his mom. He'd also gone online and booked some photography gigs in Chicago.