chapter 40 - be a little braver than i had

Her phone rang and Nini smiled like a teenage girl. She hated that Ricky had this power over her. But she couldn't deny the butterflies she felt in her stomach whenever she saw him. No matter how much time had passed, no matter what he'd done to her, she still felt the sparks between them. Recently, she and Ricky had been spending a lot of time together working on their project, and they were supposed to meet again tonight.

"Richard again?" Kourtney asked coldly. Nini had forgiven Ricky, but Kourtney held grudges.

"Yes. That was Ricky." Nini said. "He was just calling to ask what I wanted for dinner."

"You're meeting up again?! That's the third time this week..." EJ said frowning. He was also not very fond of Ricky. He did punch the curls off Ricky's head the first chance he got to.

"We're just friends." Nini said. "We're just working on this project together."

"For now." Kourtney said.

Gina was the only one who didn't judge or question Nini's relationship with Ricky.  "Guys, she's a grown ass woman. She can meet up with whoever she wants to, whenever she wants to without having to explain anything to us."

"We're just looking out for her, Gigi. Why don't you get that?" EJ asked, slightly mad at his girlfriend. "Didn't you see how much Ricky hurt her?"

"Babe, it's none of our business-"

"Guys, stop." Nini raised both her hands. "Hey, I appreciate your concern, but Gina's right. I'm an adult. I know what I'm getting into. And you all know by now, I'll never .... stop being in love with Ricky. Right now, we're just friends and I have no idea where we're headed.. but I really hope that no matter where Ricky and I end up, that all of you will be by my side."

"Of course we will." Kourtney said. "But you let us know if he hurts you again. EJ will be ready to knock him out."

Gina sighed. "No he won't. Right, babe?"

"I won't." EJ said unconvincingly. "I was just trying to protect you. I hope you know that."

"I know." Nini said squeezing his arm. "I know what I'm doing. I promise. I mean it's Ricky, you guys. I know him better than I know myself."
___________

She really did know him well. The moment she stepped into his Brooklyn loft, she could tell by the way his shoes are messily arranged by the door that he had probably arrived at home not long before she did. He also forgot to lock the door, which is dangerous. The apartment smelled like noodles and something else... tapioca.. which meant that he didn't just get dinner, he also got her favorite bubble tea from Midtown. She could hear his gentle humming, but no sounds of water, which meant that he just finished his shower and was probably doing something with his hair. (Because it always had to be on point) If the whole publishing thing didn't work out, she could probably be a detective (or a paramedic... she was a multi-talented independent woman).

[a/n : sorry guys, i've been watching lots of crime shows]

She decided to sit on the couch and play with her phone while waiting for him, but suddenly an ear piercing scream interrupted her candy crush session.

"HOOOLY CRAP, NINI!" Ricky screamed carrying a... lamp in his right hand. "HOW DID YOU GET IN HERE? YOU SCARED THE BEJEEZUZ OUT OF ME."