chapter 34 - now i drive alone past your street

[a/n : not sure if people are still reading this, but sorry for the long wait, i've been busy lately]

"Neens, I know you're hurting, but I just don't think it's a good idea to talk to him right now." Red said.

"Why not?" Nini said. "If we just have a civil conversation then we'll work this out."

"Look. I just don't want you to get hurt. Both of you." Red plopped down on the couch and put his head in his hands. "He said he doesn't want to see you, and I think what he needs right now is space. He needs to figure things out by himself."

Nini sat down next to him and fought the tears. She needed to be strong. "How long do you think he needs space?"

"I don't know, Neens." Red said holding her hand. "You know how he is."

"Do you think we're going to figure this out?"

Red looked at her with sad eyes. "I don't know, bub."

Nini wiped a tear that threatened to escape her eye. "Do you think he loves me ?"

"Yes. 100%" Red said. "He thinks he's doing what's best for you."

"He's not." Nini said. "Can I just drop something off for him? I won't talk to him I promise. I just need to see him one more time before I go back to New York, okay. He won't know I'm there. I'll leave right away."

Red gave her a look that seemed to say that he didn't think it was a good idea. But she knew he couldn't say no to her at this point. So he just nodded and gave her his car keys.

"Take my car. I'll see you back here for lunch okay?" Red said. "Don't make me regret this."

"Thank you, Red." Nini said kissing his cheek.
_______
Nini looked at the box and the card stuck on top of it. It was supposed to be an anniversary gift. But now it would be like a last ditch effort or a parting gift. Nini didn't know, that was for Ricky to decide. She was about to get down from the car when she spotted him in the window.

He was spaced out and he had a glass in his hands. He had been drinking, and from the looks of it he'd been drinking all night. Nini sighed, she hated seeing him in pain, and she wanted to tell him it didn't need to be this way. They could be together, she didn't care what he did or where he lived, as long as he was hers. Suddenly, Nini heard the sound of glass breaking and became alarmed.

She'd promised Red she would not meet him, but this might be an emergency. She ran to his porch and knocked the door.

"Ricky? Open up. It's me." She tried. "Ricky? Are you okay in there?"

There was no reply and Nini started to panic. She couldn't help it. She cared about him, and she would never forgive herself if something bad had happened and she didn't help him.
"Okay, I'm coming in."

She used the set of keys he'd given her and was shocked to find that Ricky had wrecked his living room. He'd obviously gone on a drunken rage. The TV was smashed, chairs were toppled, plates and mugs shattered on the floor. Ricky was on the ground passed out, and Nini quickly grabbed his arm and used her body to drag him to the couch.

He had scratches on his hands and his cheek, he'd broken a lot of things, and when he passed out he'd landed on some glass shards. Nini went to the bathroom to grab the first aid kit and started tending to his wounds.