chapter 44 - there's someone in my life that makes it all worthwhile

A few weeks after they got engaged, Nini found herself unable to sleep, so she decided to wake her boyfriend up.

He groggily opened his eyes, and then shut them again, not wanting lose sleep.

"We need to talk."

That woke him up. "That's never good."

"I've been thinking-"

Ricky sat up in bed so he was shoulder to shoulder with Nini.

"That's also never good. Babe, just cut to the chase, why am I up at..." He turned to look at the clock on the nightstand, "3.47 ?"

"Okay. It's about the wedding." Nini took a deep breath and took both of Ricky's hands in hers. "I want Red to be-"

Ricky shook his head and chuckled. He knew where this was heading and he'd prepared himself for it.

"To be your best man... Not gonna happen, Neens."

"But Rick-"

"Listen. I've thought about it okay... He's gonna be our best man." Ricky explained. "Look, I've had lots of time to think about the proposal and the wedding. When I say I want to marry you, I truly want to, so much that I've thought of all the roles our friends are going to play at our wedding."

"Oh-"

" 'Cause I know at some point we're gonna have another conversation at 3 am where you worry about our other friends feeling left out."

"Right." Nini smiled. He knew her so well. "Well what's the plan, Mr. Prepared?"

"Okay... so I know you want something small, so do I. So I thought we could get all hands on deck. Red is our best man. Ashlyn will play the piano and sing, because you know she's a star. The twins will be our little page boys."

"Sounds great so far." Nini looked at him tenderly. He really had a dream wedding planned in his head.

"EJ will train Bob to walk down the aisle with them, and EJ's gonna be Bob's wingman throughout the wedding. You're gonna make Kourtney's dream come true when you ask her to design your wedding dress. And who's gonna plan and organize this whole thing, you ask.. well, someone who's calm, collected, has never punched me in the face ... Gina."

"You really thought of everything." Nini kissed the smug smile off his face. "I love you so much."
______________
Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. Before you know it it was the night before the wedding, and Nini just couldn't sleep. She wasn't getting cold feet or anything, in fact, she was probably too excited that she couldn't sleep. She felt her phone vibrate and apparently her favorite person can't sleep either.

"Ricky, what's up? Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine, baby... I just wanted to ask if you would take a walk with me."

"Now?!"

"You got anything better to do?"

"Well, I should probably try to sleep since it's 3am on our wedding day!"

"Do you think you're gonna be able to sleep?"

"Well, no."

"Good. 'Cause I'm already outside."

"You're insane Ricky Bowen."

"You're insane-er for marrying me."
________________
Nini sneaked out of her apartment like a teenager, since Kourtney and Gina had decided to stay the night, and if they knew they'd probably freak out.

"You know it's bad luck for us to see each other before the wedding." Nini greeted her fiancé with a kiss. She was excited to see him even though they were just together hours ago for dinner.