chapter 33 - close the book before it turns to tragedy

"I do." As her best friends recited their vows, Nini managed to wipe the tears from her eyes before it ruined her make up.

She looked to Ricky who was standing on the side taking pictures while pretending to be unaffected by the whole emotional ordeal. Her boyfriend was the best man and photographer, so she hadn't seen him all morning.

Ever since his emotional outburst at the Gala two weeks ago, Nini had been worried about the curly haired brunet. He'd told her he loved her in a way that sounded like a goodbye. But things have been normal between them, the only thing she noticed was that Ricky was often just staring into space and distracted. She hoped that she was just being overly anxious. When she tried to talk to him about it, he always said it was nothing, and she was trying her best to believe him.

She was glad they were back in Salt Lake for Red's wedding though. It had always bern the three of them, and now Red's finally married the girl of his dreams. Nini was happy for them and couldn't wait for her and Ricky to be bound forever. The four of them would be their own little family.

Nini would be staying in Salt Lake for the next few days, since it will be her and Ricky's anniversary. Their original one. She didn't really count the break up, she wanted to forget it happened at all. She wanted to do something special, maybe spend some quality time with Ricky to ease her nerves. She hated when he was closed off, she just wanted to know what was going on, and how she could help him.

She let her thoughts trail away as Red and Ashlyn walked down the aisle and confetti rained down on them. Little did she know somewhere in the far corner of the room, her favorite hazel eyes were gazing at her longingly.
______

Nini looked extremely beautiful in the light pink dress she'd picked out with Ashlyn. Ricky missed her. He knew he'd been distant since that night and she was probably anxious. But he couldn't stop thinking about everything and he was convinced that he had indeed been the reason she put her dreams on hold for so long. Ricky couldn't really talk about it with Red because he was so busy with the wedding. He didn't know what to do.

He'd been distracted enough this morning by all his tasks, but the reception gave him more free time. He couldn't avoid his fiancé forever so he decided he might as well make the first move.

"May I have this dance?" Ricky said offering his hand to Nini as he approached her at the bar.

Nini beamed at him and took his hand immediately. She gave him the kind of smile that made his heart flutter. "So Close" by John McLaughlin started playing as soon as they got to the dance floor, and Ricky wanted to cry at how much the song reflected the current state of their relationship. Ricky made a mental note to tell Red that this was a sad song, not a wedding song.

"I missed you today." Nini said.

"Me too." Ricky said. "I hope these photos turn out well or Red's gonna kill me."

"You know they will. Your photos are always breathtaking."

There it was again. It was like she'd put him on this pedestal, and he didn't know how to live up to her expectations.

"Red looks good in that suit doesn't he?" He changed the topic.

"Yeah. No one else would have pulled it off. You steered him in the right direction." Nini said. "But you're not wearing red on our wedding, okay?"